• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Crossrail

zapem10

Anyone have tips on replacing the rear crossrail? The body mount holes are rotted out so I ordered the crossrail from wild horses. I could use any experience anyones had with it before I go cutting the old one out.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It’s more of a channel, rather than an actual crossmember like you would think of with the frame. I believe he’s talking about the one that’s actually part of the body rather than the frame. Sits over the body mount towers and reinforces the body.

That right zapem?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I would leave the tailgate in and latched to lock the bedsides in place while you replace the hat channel. allot of spots welds to remove and hard to get to if the body is not off the frame. I would be more inclined to just replace the rotted areas around the body mounts if the rest of the channel is good.

OP
OP
Z

zapem10

It’s more of a channel, rather than an actual crossmember like you would think of with the frame. I believe he’s talking about the one that’s actually part of the body rather than the frame. Sits over the body mount towers and reinforces the body.

That right zapem?
Yeah that is right. It’s at the end of the rear floor and had the two rounded recessed holes that the furthest back body mount bolts go through.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Yeah, what rustytruck said .If that channel is in good shape ..the body mount platforms are seperate pieces welded into that channel..

I'd support body remove body mounts and start by just removing the worst of the two platforms at this time if the channel is solid ,,then transfering the platforms or fab up new ones could be an option ,, If the top hole damaged as well then you could also clean up and weld in a repair washer...

If you have to replace the whole thing then removing the bumper and tailgate looks to be the best bet,,Do some cross bracing in tail gate opening..and pay attention to what your cutting ....

when installing plan your approch Plug welds from the top is so much better then doing overhead