• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Disc Brake Caliper Removal

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
OK guys I need your help, no shop manual for this one. I picked up a mid 70's Lincoln rearend already out of the vehicle with the disc brake set up. Trying to get the caliper off. Here is a picture of the clip, I am guessing the whole piece slides left or right (if it were on the vehicle) and comes out so that the caliper can be removed off of the rotor. Any ideas here? Before I beat the crap out of the clip like a red headed step child? There appears to be a spring clip against the caliper and the "wedge or slide" clip, which in turn slides over the lower bracket. Any and all feedback appreciated.

Attachments

• Clip removal.JPG
    Clip removal.JPG
    252.9 KB · Views: 30

robofig

Hose it down with some wd 40 and tap out and the slideing wedge with a punch and hammer. Once it is apart clean up all the sliding edges with a wire wheel.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
If you look at the top of the clip, there is a flat spring that maintains pressure against the caliper. As robofig said, you simply need to use a punch and hammer to knock the clip and spring out, and the caliper should slide right off. Not sure what is going to happen with all that rust though.

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
If you look at the top of the clip, there is a flat spring that maintains pressure against the caliper. As robofig said, you simply need to use a punch and hammer to knock the clip and spring out, and the caliper should slide right off. Not sure what is going to happen with all that rust though.

This might help explain it.