• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear fuel level sender wiring mystery

Raven Tooth

Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
From an earlier post you will see that I recently ran out of gas. Well, the reason for this is partly because my rear fuel level sender has never worked. (I've had the Bronco for a couple months now)

Have been looking at wiring diagrams and got under the truck. Seems like there are no wires attached to the sender, and a mysterious orange wire that seems to be coming from the front of the truck where the rest of the wires come from grounded to the frame. Coincidentally the wire I think I want which attaches at the back of the fuel tank level selector switch is orange.

How is this supposed to look? Does anyone have a picture of what there's looks like?

Sorry it's kind of blurry but you should be able to see the orange wire above and the fuel selector below with the fuel hose coming out of it.

522995_10150598955725988_649500987_9410315_258041999_n.jpg

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Orange wire is main sender wire. Sender should also have a black ground wire that attaches to the frame, probably where your orange wire is attached.

Attachments

• fuel switch.JPG
    fuel switch.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 55
  • fuel gauge.jpg
    fuel gauge.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
Raven Tooth

Raven Tooth

Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Aw, that's awesome. I will try hooking it up and adding a ground and see what happens. Always fun trying to unravel the mysteries of the PO.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Orange wire is main sender wire. Sender should also have a black ground wire that attaches to the frame, probably where your orange wire is attached.

Viperwolf,
Love the drawings, saved them to my computer. I too am trying to figure out why my gauge does not work. I was told that it had been spliced way too many times. In your first drawing I get the botton three wires, what about the top three terminals? Does one of those go to ground? Thx!

jms5580

Loc.
Bozeman, MT
They sell a pigtail for the two prongs on the sender. I just picked one up. Doesn't help if the PO bought a gauge that reads Full at 30 ohms and Empty at 240. :mad:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Viperwolf,
Love the drawings, saved them to my computer. I too am trying to figure out why my gauge does not work. I was told that it had been spliced way too many times. In your first drawing I get the botton three wires, what about the top three terminals? Does one of those go to ground? Thx!

The top 3 terminals don't need to be connected to anything. The switch is one of the few upgrade-ready parts that Ford used in Broncos. It's really like 2 switches in one housing.

OP
OP
Raven Tooth

Raven Tooth

Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Bought the pigtail and installed in 5 minutes. Hooked up the orange wire to the pigtail and the black wire to where the orange wire was. Looks like it works! Thanks.