• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rear spring shackles

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
Ok.. so what I thought would be a 2 hour job to swap out rear springs has actually taken me all friggin day. The shackles suck. The shackle bushing wouldnt let go of the bolt going through it, so I had to bang on it for an hour or two to get them loose... then I spent another hour or two removing the old shackle bushings... now I have spent about 45mins banging the hell outta the new shackle bushing to get it to go into the shackle and it is getting mangled and only about 80% in.

I give up. Where can I buy new shackles with new bushings already installed? So far, all I can find is BC's heavy duty shackles but they require the $45 greasable bolt kit.... I dont want to have $150 into my shackles.. I just want the damn bushings in there..

suggestions?

OP
OP
67EB_in_619

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
and before anyone asks, I want to clarify that I did indeed get the outter metal sleeve out already.

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
Tough one - I remember having trouble with mine as well. The only thing I could get to work on the springs was a ball joint press that I picked up a while back.

Basically its a big C clamp with adapters to fit for ball joints. I have used this thing for lots of stuff (bearing, ball joints, U-Joints ...). Best $20 I ever spent.

You might try using lube on the remaining piece not seated yet. :cool:

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Are you trying to put the inner sleeve in the bushing before you put it in the shackle? If so don't. Put the bushings in first and then put the inner sleeve in. Be sure to use a light grease or silicone spray on the bushings as well.

OP
OP
67EB_in_619

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
They are rubber... and I am trying to put it all in as one piece.

Should they go in as seperate pieces?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
67EB_in_619 said:
They are rubber... and I am trying to put it all in as one piece.

Should they go in as seperate pieces?
Not sure on the rubber. If the sleeve comes out then yes put it after the bushing is in. When you put the center sleeve in the bushing expands.

OP
OP
67EB_in_619

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
Thanks for the pointers everyone...

I hadnt thought about how much the corrosion that 'welded' the old outer sleeve to the shackle had reduced the internal diameter. I cleaned it all up with a file till it was fairly smooth and shiney.. then used a lot of WD40 and antisieze to lube it up. Used my bench vice as a press and popped them in there... was still a bit of grunting.. but it worked.

bigjake

Loc.
Denver
Can someone save me the bleeding knuckles and excessive cussing and tell me the most efficient way to get that metal sleeve out of the shackle? It took me all afternoon to cut the bolts out and extract the old bushings. I've stopped there because I figured that there's a relatively easy way and a "wrong" way to get the sleeves out. Maybe one of you can help me with the easy way...

Thanks,
Jake

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
bigjake said:
Can someone save me the bleeding knuckles and excessive cussing and tell me the most efficient way to get that metal sleeve out of the shackle? It took me all afternoon to cut the bolts out and extract the old bushings. I've stopped there because I figured that there's a relatively easy way and a "wrong" way to get the sleeves out. Maybe one of you can help me with the easy way...

Thanks,
Jake
Burn it....

behemoth

Bronco Guru
Burn it and then use the air chisle or call chuck at bc broncos and buy some new shackles. That is easiest, but not the fastest or cheapest.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Madgyver said:
Burn it....
Been there, done that. ;D

As was mentioned above there is still a thin metal bushing that will remain. A good chisel will make quick work of it though. First split it down the side and then fold it in on itself.

bigjake

Loc.
Denver
Man, that was fast!!! Thanks a ton! I'm stoked to have the rear lift on by tomorrow night. Kinda bumbed that I have to cut her though... I bought the 3.5 lift and 33x12.5 tires without asking if they would stuff under the rear fender. Just found out they won't.

bigjake

Loc.
Denver
I suppose, but they're original parts and seem to be pretty well locked in there with rust. I'll see if there's anything worth salvaging when I'm done. Meanwhile, send me your address and I'll be in touch. bigjakeunc@yahoo.com

bigjake

Loc.
Denver
Well that's partly good, because the sleeves didn't make it. I mutilated one sleeve and a good screwdriver before I gave up and paid a machine shop $20 to extract them this morning.

Now, as far as the cutouts go... I've decided I'm going to try and get rid of my new 33x12.50 tire set for what I paid for it and go with 33x10s so that I don't have to cut.

If I can't find a home for them, I'm an old body guy and I'll be planning on keeping those in anticipation of wanting them later... for the same reason you're looking for some now. Sorry.

bigjhoov

nobody
That's OK. I hear ya on the sleeves. Took me about an hour trying to get out the first one, second one took 10 minutes.