• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rebirth of a 71

Gatesboy

Loc.
Remsen
Well, I've had this truck for 3 years now can finally have the money and patience to start the project.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can't wait to hear what your plans for it are and see some pictures.:cool:

OP
OP
Gatesboy

Gatesboy

Loc.
Remsen
pulling it in outta the snow and starting the tear down.

Attachments

• 20160124_142851.jpg
    20160124_142851.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
Gatesboy

Gatesboy

Loc.
Remsen
Well, I played hooky from work today and did a little workand a lot of assessment. ... gonna need a pile sheet metal.

Attachments

• 20160208_171952.jpg
    20160208_171952.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20160208_171250.jpg
    20160208_171250.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20160208_171212.jpg
    20160208_171212.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 47

Bferrari

Love seeing progress! One thing you may consider is to study the body during disassembly. Look at your door gaps, panel lines, etc to see what works and which areas are needing attention. Once you find the attention areas, ask yourself why they are that way. Is a poor door gap due to a worn out body mount? weakened rusty floorboard? Previous owner's attempt to fix? etc. All in all, will help you see past what is in front of you to better prepare for the final fix. Another thing I would recommend is to brace the body prior to pulling off too much of the old metal. At a minimum you could put some door braces in to help keep plumb as you are progressing with your repairs. When I did mine I chose to work one area at a time, trying to get one area intact before tearing into another area. It seemed to work well for me and when all was said and done my panel gaps and body alignment were really close. Keep it up, this is the fun part! Glad to see another one getting a fresh start!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... OK SINCE YOUR JUST STARTING YOUR BRONCO ... do you think your going to like that lift... 4 poster... Or would the 2 post & arms be better..
... I'm wanting to buy myself a lift.. & I want one like you have...
... But my Buddies tell me i don't want that kind. .. I think I do ..
........................... What do you say.....................

OP
OP
Gatesboy

Gatesboy

Loc.
Remsen
Love seeing progress! One thing you may consider is to study the body during disassembly. Look at your door gaps, panel lines, etc to see what works and which areas are needing attention. Once you find the attention areas, ask yourself why they are that way. Is a poor door gap due to a worn out body mount? weakened rusty floorboard? Previous owner's attempt to fix? etc. All in all, will help you see past what is in front of you to better prepare for the final fix. Another thing I would recommend is to brace the body prior to pulling off too much of the old metal. At a minimum you could put some door braces in to help keep plumb as you are progressing with your repairs. When I did mine I chose to work one area at a time, trying to get one area intact before tearing into another area. It seemed to work well for me and when all was said and done my panel gaps and body alignment were really close. Keep it up, this is the fun part! Glad to see another one getting a fresh start!

Thank you for the heads up. This is my first resto of a Bronco. I've done some fifties cars which have a lot more body to hold them together. I can already tell there's a lot of hillbilly ingenuity into the floors. The cross brace his shot so I need to remove the body to get to it. I'm certainly taking my time with everything. I figure I've got 2 years before I'll be driving her again. I have a 2000 Ford Explorer 5 liter that's going on it eventually.

OP
OP
Gatesboy

Gatesboy

Loc.
Remsen
... OK SINCE YOUR JUST STARTING YOUR BRONCO ... do you think your going to like that lift... 4 poster... Or would the 2 post & arms be better..
... I'm wanting to buy myself a lift.. & I want one like you have...
... But my Buddies tell me i don't want that kind. .. I think I do ..
........................... What do you say.....................

A 4 postel is good for somethings and a two post is good for others. I like that I can get to everything on a four post but removing tires and wheels is a pain in the ass. I suggest buying both if you can afford it. I can not so I will be using my friends two post to remove the body.

OP
OP
Gatesboy

Gatesboy

Loc.
Remsen
Removing the front fenders has proved to be a lot of fun. The retainer clips on the back of the bolts must be stripped. I think I'm going to have to take off the front clip in one piece

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Hooky is a great thing if it's to work on the Bronco :)

Bferrari

Removing the front fenders has proved to be a lot of fun. The retainer clips on the back of the bolts must be stripped. I think I'm going to have to take off the front clip in one piece

Lol! Totally feel you on that! I had the same issues. Ended up using penetrating oil, vice grips and an impact. A couple that still wouldn't cooperate got attacked with a sawzall!