• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Recomendations on welders for bronco work

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
Folks, I have a smoking deal on a Lincoln welder but before I go for it can anyone tell me good, bad, ugly on them vs. say the Hobart or Miller units. The Lincoln is the 175 Mig so I'd be comparing against the Hobart 180 and Miller 175 units... appreciate any thoughts or experiences! Oh, and to keep this on topic I plan to use it for everything from redoing the sheet metal floors in my '71 bronco to welding up a tube front end for my '72 crawler... ;D

Thanks!!

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I own a Miller 175. It is a good (Small) welder. It is fine for welds up to 5/16'' no more. It works well on light guage steel such as body panels. A good general use welder. Still has copper windings and all the parts are in stock at my local weld/gas supply. Miller / lincon/ Hobart in that order. My thoughts.
Bax

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Once you are up to the name brand stuff (Lincoln, Miller, Hobart) then it basicly comes to brand loyality and the little features like infinitly adjustable voltage.

I have friends that have Millers so I got one as well. If I need a tip or shield in a pinch I can run over and borrow one until I get to the store and pick more up.

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
You won't go wrong with any of those. Hobarts are actually a home line built by Miller. I believe you'll have good success with any that run on 220V. The smaller 110V machines can be a little particular sometimes.

wheelin66bronco

Loc.
State of Jefferson
I've been burning with a hobart handler 180 now for a couple years. I have welded up to 5/8 with it with pre heating.
The thing I don't like is the "not so adjustable voltage" It tends to burn through or not quit weld 14-16 guage like I like.
I had to replace the the wirefeed liner after 4 10lb spools but that is gonna happen on my of them.
I definatly suggest using cotton cleaner pads at the wire feed to make the liner last longer.

I am about to get rid of mine a get a Millermatic 251 if you are intersted in mine used, cart and all.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
I have been using my little 130xp for about 6+ years and have been 100% satisfied... With that said, I just got my dream machine a Miller 251...and all I can say is WOW! But I did get by with my little 130 and I still use it for sheet metal work. I have just been told by my salesman that I have known for years if I am looking to move up from my 130, he said jump to the 210 at least...he said the 175 isn't the best welder for the $$.. The 210 is worth the extra few $$. I say Miller or Lincoln..if absolute necessary get the Hobart. Just my two cents....

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
Those are all good welders. However, I would buy atleast a miller 210. :)

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
mxpaz said:
Those are all good welders. However, I would buy atleast a miller 210. :)

Yeah , after using my Millermatic 175 for a couple years , I have wished I had bought a 210, so I have to go borrow a Stick welder unstead
:(

ORVP

Loc.
Beaverton, Oregon
Brand loyality

Millers feature with amperage control is better than the small Lincolns. I have a 110v Weld-pac 100 I use for sheetmetal work. I have used a friends Miller 215 will prob get a 220 wire feed someday if the deal is right. Have large stick welder for the deep welds on heavy material.

hawkgt

Loc.
Leesburg, VA
Over a year ago I was looking at the same three welders and I ended up choosing the Miller 175. I really like the infinite voltage control and I have been very happy with it doing all of my sheet metal repair. Look around at some of the online dealers when you are shopping for a welder. I got my MM at an online authorized dealer for less than the Hobart of Lincoln cost locally and that included shipping.

kuch68

Loc.
Waterford, MI
I have to put a vote in for the miller 175 as well. I borrowed a buddies Lincoln 175 for 6 months to work on my Bronco before buying mine. The biggest difference in body work is the infinite voltage control. I felt like I could never get the Lincoln welder tuned to where I wanted it. My miller works like a dream and my welds have been much better.
The only exception would be the Lincoln 175 Plus which has infinite voltage control. Although, it is the same price as the miller and I would just go for the miller.

good luck

DBrown

Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
I use a lincoln 225 ARC welder to do all my stuff. they run around $200 at lowes and work great for suspension parts and heavier metal like bumpers. I havent had much success with sheet metal. I can weld it, but I warp it almost evey time so I plan to get a small mig welder for that.