• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removable top laws.

Jerseydevil

Loc.
West Chester PA
Was it Fords intention that the tops be removed from a 68 Bronco wagon? Does anyone know what the Law is on driving without the to in PA? Is it required in PA?
What is deal with sun visors? My 68 was retro fit with an electric wiper motor. There are no visors, or wiper assembly cover. The guy I bought it from threw one he had in his shop in to sweeten the deal:) problem is, it doesn't seem to fit. It seems to short. I can only assume it is off of an early bronco. I purchased visors but without the cover, there is nothing to support them on one side. I figure it will be easy to fab something up, but I'm wondering what others have done.
Just hung new fenders on it tonight and it look really good. Guess I'll bolt them up tomorrow when it's nice and hot.

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
I have never heard of any laws regarding tops being on or off of any vehicle. It is not a requirement for safety inspections either.

76Bronco302

Loc.
Sherman, Tx
The last vehicle that I can recall that the actual top that could be removed was the 96 bronco. I had a 92 and that was the first year to have the third brake light in the top. In the manual it said not to remove the top do to that brake light. In Texas I dont the that light is actually necessary but since our eb's dont have that I would not worry about the laws on having the top off.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Rollover safety guidelines didn't even exist when the Bronco was made probably, so I don't see any state as having special regulations that differentiate a removable-top vehicle from a convertible.
And Ford sold Early Broncos as "Roadsters" anyway, so it wasn't illegal at the time. And if there had been any regulations at the time, or if we had been as sue-happy back then as we are now, then there would have been factory roll-bars installed, like in some later rigs.

So I don't see an issue. But if in doubt, check out your state's DMV website and vehicle code to look for any definitions that might include your rig.

Paul

stanz

Loc.
Portland
I used to live in PA. You're fine from a legal standpoint with the top off of any 66-77. PA is strict about all installed lights (OEM and owner installed) must be functional to pass state inspection, so since third brake lights did not exist, this is not an issue for EBs.

On the PA lighting requirement - I've had a pickup fail for one inoperable roof mounted running light. Not much of an issue with EBs, but good to know if you have a truck with add-on lights.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
The spacing between the wipers is different from the first few years of Bronco that came with vacuum wipers verses the ones with electric wipers. I think that the vacuum wipers are farther apart than the electric ones so that may be why your wiper cover is too short. If you can post a photo of what you have it might help.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I have never heard of any laws regarding tops being on or off of any vehicle. It is not a requirement for safety inspections either.

Same here..! You'll be alright.

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
my '69 i think is a very early built truck and had vacuum wipers so when i went to installed a original electric setup the holes going through the windshield frame where further apart buy atleast 6 inches. i had to lengthen my wiper mechanism to make them work but i also had to make my cover a whole lot bigger.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
...I purchased visors but without the cover, there is nothing to support them on one side. I figure it will be easy to fab something up, but I'm wondering what others have done...

I copied this mod from one of our members, jdamach1, and it works great and easy to fab in just a few minutes. The middle joiner is standard fuel line hose.

Attachments

• Visor Bracket1.gif
    Visor Bracket1.gif
    241 KB · Views: 97
  • Visor Bracket2.gif
    Visor Bracket2.gif
    241.8 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
Jerseydevil

Jerseydevil

Loc.
West Chester PA
Thanks for all the input. The reason I asked about the top was pretty much pure curiosity, although some guy from and unnamed chain exhaust Shop told me my Broncowould fail inspection for several reasons, one of which was the lack of weatherstripping around lift gate and tailgate. His claim was it let in exhaust fumes. I know thats not good and I know in PA you can be failed for any holes into the cab area. Vitas far as this guys claim about the seals, I couldn't help but wonder "what if I took the top off". I didn't think of it soon enough to ask the tech. As far as the visors, I think I want them whether they are required or not. Thanks Broncowie for the pics. Its a simple design and I like simple. Once I get them done, I'll post picks too.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey JD. While the guy might not be tops in the top debate, he's probably right about the seals.
With vehicles like Broncos (and ESPECIALLY Broncos!), there is a HUUUUUGGGGGE difference between top-on vs top-off when it comes to fumes.
With the top on, even a small leak into the cab from the rear half of the top can lead someone to think you're trying to commit suicide-by-fumigation.
With the top off, there is no way to hold in anything that happens to blow forward. It just dissipates almost immediately. Might not even reach the driver.
It's all about aerodynamics

So yeah, I can see them failing you for a leaky/missing gasket in the lift-gate/tailgate area.

Paul

OP
OP
Jerseydevil

Jerseydevil

Loc.
West Chester PA
Seemed fairly reasonable to me, that's why I just replaced all of the seals and continue to look for leaks into the cab. Just thought it was funny that you can fail for a small joke but not a giant one. But you're/ he is probably right.

ransil

Bronco Guru
Just took mine in for inspection, they looked at the brakes & steering , I had the top off but I did put the half soft doors on just in case.

OP
OP
Jerseydevil

Jerseydevil

Loc.
West Chester PA
PA inspection

Thanks ransil, it's always good to hear from a fellow PAer. I've got a few more little things to do before I take mine in. It's a 68 with a 302 out of a passenger car.
Stock1970, I understand if the manufacturer intended for the doors to removed, then it can pass inspection and be driven that way legally. I read a thread here about a guy failing inspection be aide he had no doors on his bronco.

MooseyFate

Loc.
Colo Spgs, CO
1) You need to find a different inspection mechanic. You're not far from me & I know a few.

2) As far as taking the doors off, unless it was made to take the doors off from factory, then technically it's illegal to drive on the road without them. I would think the main thing is the mirror. If you remove the doors, a driver side mirror is required.