• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

replace cigar lighter with a USB plug??

Yooper74

I've been searching and have not found one yet. Does anyone make a direct replacement for the cigar lighter as a USB port. I know I could buy an adapter to plug into the cigar lighter but thought it would be slick if they made a replacement for the whole thing

no real point to this picture other than its fun seeing things go back together so I thought i'd share

Dash install.jpg

xltboy

Quick search on Google will show a ton of direct replacement options for this. There are many other combinations if you want to put something in a center console, etc.
Xltboy

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just carry in the glove box a sub plug that goes into the cigarette lighter, pretty easy cheap and the original look of the dash stays. But there are a lot of options as mentioned
Plus if your ever need to start a fire (camping etc.)the cigarette lighter works pretty good for that

Readhead

Check out Blue sea they specialize in marine and are now getting into emergency vehicles

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
I just bought one from Amazon, it was $16. Had to make the hole slightly larger, that’s on me for not checking the size, but it is a 3 port 3amp usb, weather proof.

Brand: Speedcur
4.6 out of 5 stars 389 Reviews
Quick Charge 3.0 Car Charger, 12V/24V 35W QC3.0/2.0 USB Charger Socket, 3 USB Charger Socket Power Outlet Fast Charge with Wire Fuse Aluminum Car Boat Marine ATV Bus Truck Golf Cart and More(Black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
I used to run those but I switched to flush mount USB inserts. They fit so flush you can barely see it. USB chargers can go bad, why not make it easy to change?

Jamie Chriss

I put one on the bottom of may dash super clean. If you want to plug up the hole for the lighter there are many options, all are very east to install. One issue with the cig lighter is it on all the time, if you forget to remove what ever you have plugged in you might..

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I don't see why it's necessary to cut up the dash to install one. You can buy an insert for the stock lighter receptacle...
But it pulls out when you try to unplug the USB cable, or just from the weight of the cable, or it can vibrate out as you drive/wheel... And the inside of the original cigar socket is commonly rustier than the fuses, which are known to be problematic despite having MUCH higher clamping force and more contact area than those dinky adapters. So it can be difficult to get a good connection, or to keep it.

So yes: there are several good reasons to swap to a dedicated USB adapter in place of a corroded cigar socket that you'll probably never need again, anyway.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Just an fyi, retro sound radios have 2 USB ports that come w/ the radio