• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replaced clutch in 67 bronco now wont shift

unlikenone33

Any information appreciated,

We just had the clutch replaced in a 67 bronco and now it wont shift gears. The transfer case shifts from high to low but the gear shifter seems jammed. Is there a way this can happen if something is adjusted wrong. The shop that did the job says another 450.00 and they can fix it but they dont seem to know why it dont work now. Does anyone have any suggestions or have ran into a like problem ? I haven't looked at it myself yet and will tomorrow morning but any info would help. Thanks

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
If it shifted fine when you took it to the shop, why are they asking for more money to fix it?

Is it a three on the tree, 3-speed floor shift, 4-speed?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Will it shift with the engine off but not with the engine running? That is the clutch mis-adjusted or installed wrong.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Engine off in gear when you push the clutch in can you turn the rear driveshaft? That will tell you if the clutch is releasing enough to unload the gears. Otherwise the shifter is wonky.

OP
OP
U

unlikenone33

When u remove the manual trans there is a specific gear, or procedure, if you don't follow, it locks up the tranny. I learned the hard way. It will break lose if forced. Check out this link...http://broncozone.com/topic/4089-pul...-transmission/

That sounds exactly what happened, My friend who ownes the truck took everything out himself and couldnt install it back in due to how heavy it was.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes 4 on the floor

OK, 4-speed. That isn't stock. Now which 4-speed? It could be something as simple as the shifter wasn't stabbed back into the transmission correctly.

And when done, never go back to this shop. They didn't put it back together right and want to charge extra to fix damage they did. That isn't right.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
4 on the floor doesn't necessarily mean a four speed transmission. It just means a manual tranny. He still hasn't told us what transmission he actually has.

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
;D'33 you are on to something I think
Chilton's BRONCO 1966-77 ''More important,this tool will prevent the input shaft roller bearings from dropping into the transmission and output shaft. THIS TOOL IS A MUST."

check it out

credit unlikenone33 #9

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If he pulled the transfer case off the back of the transmission, that scenario is very likely. If they stayed together then it would be something else jacked up.
The bad news is it's more work for him to pull it all out again and fix it.
The good news is that it's not that difficult once you get into it. Assuming some mechanical ability and common sense that is.

But all that means we need some additional info to clear up what exactly was done. You say that a shop did the clutch work, but that your friend took things apart. Who did what and why?
Did he remove a few things so that a shop could do the clutch and it would cost less?
Did the shop work on the transmission at all?

Give us some really detailed info. More info than you think we might want. At this point, there really is not much that can make it TMI.
If you don't know some details, let us know that too. Or ask your friend for the info.
The Bronco might not be stock, the clutch might not be the original type, and so on. Since it sounds like it's not yours, you might not know what all has been done.
Which means that you don't have to keep things brief to keep from annoying us out here in internetland.
As Johnny-5 used to say... "Input. Need more input...";D

Paul

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
;D'33 you are on to something I think
Chilton's BRONCO 1966-77 ''More important,this tool will prevent the input shaft roller bearings from dropping into the transmission and output shaft. THIS TOOL IS A MUST."

check it out

credit unlikenone33 #9

20 years ago I change my clutch by pulling the T-case and T-mission and I didn't use any special tools. Had the trans in first. Removed the 3 speed floor shifter then the T-case then Trans. Put it back together in reverse order.

Been shifting fine since.....

Tim

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Sounds strange. The detents are what hold the transmission into the gear you selected. I rebuilt my 3 speed and it got stuck into gear. And due to the fact I have a detent and ball bearing in backwards. The detent was suppose to be down touching the shift rod with the detent notches. They did not take apart the transmission, right?

And, it is the same transmission they removed? Trustworthy shop? Maybe for $450 they will install YOUR transmission.

OP
OP
U

unlikenone33

infrormation

Sounds like there is definitely info I dont know yet, I will get more information today and post what I find out. It sure looks stock but its old so who knows what has happened in its lifetime.

What I do know is he took it all apart thinking he could do the whole job himself. He did take the transfer case off then the transmission. My error the trans is a 3 speed on the floor so that might be original ? I just said 4 out of habit from other vehicles.

The transmission and transfer case were too heavy to install on the floor with a small transmission jack. Thats why it was brought to a shop. As for the shifter he claims he could shift the lever on the side of the trans before it went to the transmission shop. It was all together when it went to the shop.

Big question is does the bearings or whatever drops in the transmission everytime the transfer case is separated. Also there is a panel on top of the transmission is that were you take it apart ? Sorry asking so many questions I just never herd of a problem like this but it might be common with all transfer cases.

Step by step was removal of the transfer case first, then transmission and finally the bell housing. What really happened was a new clutch was installed a couple months ago and the clutch fork fell out and thats why he took down the whole thing to reinstall the fork and spring clip. The first person person who did the clutch change disappeared so this has been a adventure for him.

Next step was he installed the transfer case, transmission and bell housing together as one unit. After that it was put on a transmission jack and attempted to jack it up in place but it kept rolling over as it was jacked up, even strapped down. He was doing the job alone because I couldn't help because I just had arm surgery and couldn't use my arm to help. Thats when he called around and found a trans shop who said they could do the job. They installed the whole thing and said it was done but when we showed up they said they couldnt get it to shift out of gear.

Now we are here with a transmission that wont shift out of gear and I have yet to go look at it and see if its something that can be fixed without taking it back out yet again.

Thanks for all the help and advise from everyone posting a reply looks like this might cost extra due to inexperience on our behalf.

thanks again guys.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
A transmission shop which can't get a transmission as simple as a stock Ford 3-speed to shift is a place you should have never taken it. And now they want $400+ to fix it? Find out what they say is wrong with it for an extra $400+ Is it the shift linkage or something inside the tranny? It sounds like the transmission was removed and reinstalled without anyone taking it apart during the procedure. If it's an aftermarket floor shifter it could be that it's fouled up or maybe the shift rods are somehow crossed up. Did you/he decide to install a new clutch because it wouldn't shift? Or did it shift okay before he took everything apart to install the clutch. Lots of unanswered questions.

OP
OP
U

unlikenone33

more info

Yes it shifted fine until the shifting fork fell out then of course it didnt. with the two side adjustment rods off the two levers on the transmission wont move now. They did before it went to the shop, The shop said they thought it was a solenoid stuck ? I didnt think old manual transmissions had solenoids. The two levers are stuck now and dont know if they need a slight smack or its a symptom of something wrong inside.

The truck was perfect till the shifting arm fell out, The clutch engages and disengages correctly right now. Press the clutch pedal in and it rolls.

thanks again

OP
OP
U

unlikenone33

info

the shop didnt take the transmission apart or the transfer case, at least they say. its hard to know for sure but was freshly painted before it went over there so we know its the same pieces.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like they took the transfer case off and pulled the output shaft out.
Does it look like the transfer case was removed from the transmission?