• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Retro stereo from Wildhorses and retro sound speaker for dash

Mtgrizzlymn

Since the speaker is dual cone do I hook up left and right to it? Or 1 front 1 rear? Should I tie fronts to one side and tears to other? Not sure how to wire this up for best sound

pipermike

I have same set up, I went left and right when I hooked it up. I would be interested in hearing what type of radio reception you get. I get almost none. I installed new antena, no difference, works fine when I hook my I pod to it. Kind of frustrating after spending all that money on it.

OP
OP
Mtgrizzlymn

Mtgrizzlymn

I hope it has decent reception for the price! Piper mike do you use the speaker that came with it for the I phone? Bluetooth hand free

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry I can't answer the speaker wiring question MT. Forgot more of that stuff a long time ago unfortunately. Going to have to learn it all over again when I start re-setting up my own system.

Sorry too about your reception Mike. Don't know if anybody else has had that experience, but I'll ask around to see if the others have.
Have you called in to either us or to the RetroSound people? I really am not sure how the radios effect reception, but I know they can. Some are better than others, but to get so little reception seems strange. I'm assuming you have other vehicles with radios to compare with in your radio area?

What kind of antennas were/are you running?

Paul

pipermike

I did a ton of work on the interior this summer, cage install, relocated glove box on dash, got rid of the stock wipers and went with your sync system Paul, put the stereo and speaker in as well, just got to the point that I wanted to actually drive it for awhile, so I haven't spent a ton of time trouble shooting it. I did put a new antenna in (Dennis Carpenter I think) spent a little time with a ohm meter to prove connection but that's about it. I get pleanty of stations in my other vehicle. Funny thing is I had a cheap Sony unit in before and that never worked either.? I have not tried the Bluetooth hands free speaker yet. I was thinking about one of those under dash antennas

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Worth a try for sure. But Broncos are not known for their stellar reception no matter what you do. Not that they're lousy, just not as good as most other vehicles.
Mine has always had just half-way decent reception, but I live in a signal rich environment here in the SF bay area too.

Most of my older cars were better, but still not as good as my newer ones. My gold-standard is the '96 Chevy truck I had for awhile. That guy would pull in stations from everywhere! My '04 Buick is almost as good, but both are better than all the rest I've owned.
Had an '89 Cadillac that was extremely good for it's age, but still could not hold a candle to those other two.

My worst "newer" car was a '99 Lincoln Towncar that had, for a modern car anyway, very crappy reception. Did install one of our #6528's and it did improve, but there were not many places to cleanly route it either. Got it up and out of the way, but was a little vulnerable in that car. In a Bronco I'm thinking there are more places to mount it (hard to believe that!) but with more metal than plastic, not sure where the best place is yet.
Since I'm not daily-driving mine right now, I have not had a chance to experiment with different locations or routing of the ribbon on an EB. Would love to find out it would work tucked up inside a hard top though!

I would also be interested to hear reports from anyone that's completely re-wired their EB's with new harnesses, and how it's effected the working of the radio. If at all.

Good luck.

Paul

pipermike

Broncos about to go into storage for the winter. I'll figure it out in the spring.