• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Retrosound Radio

JamieP

Loc.
Nixa, MO.
Anyone have trouble with the reception in their radio? While I like the bluetooth and all I enjoy a FM radio but my reception sucks. Bought a new antenna and it barely helped. Will I need to go to a unit that has a stronger receiver? Any ideas out there? Because the retrosound might be going bye bye. Thanks.

Jamie

Jaxgtc

Anyone have trouble with the reception in their radio? While I like the bluetooth and all I enjoy a FM radio but my reception sucks. Bought a new antenna and it barely helped. Will I need to go to a unit that has a stronger receiver? Any ideas out there? Because the retrosound might be going bye bye. Thanks.

Jamie

You can get a simple and cheap inline signal amplifier. They can be had on amazon for $5 to $25 bucks. Check the reviews because some are evidently better than others. Here is a video that shows how they work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59liUYRQReE

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Yes the retro sound radios suck with FM reception. I am looking into fm signal boosters as well and hoping it resolves the issue.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
There's 2 brands of those retro stereos. I heard one of em works good but the other one totally sucks. I have the later in one of my trucks and debating cutting the dash to get a decent set-up. Not in the broncos at least. They both have tuff consoles

OP
OP
J

JamieP

Loc.
Nixa, MO.
Thanks all. I'll look into the boosters but if they dont work I might be cutting my dash and going with a better set up.

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Don't cut your dash, you can never go back to original dash and there are so many options out there. Consoles, blue tooth receivers, etc. I made a box to go under the crash, houses radio and two 5.5" speakers.

Jaxgtc

Good to know. Had considered one recently

I picked up mine from TBP, and I am happy with it. No reception issues. It almost has too many options with 2 auxiliary, subwoofer out, 2 usb, microphone, BT, RCA out and speaker out, but it is really compact and looks nice. Got the new dual cone retro speaker for my dash, so it is probably overkill having everything else with just one speaker - but I like the stock look.

BTW, TBP has a great installation video that helped me get it installed in minutes. Being on the bench probably helped a bunch too, not having to crawl around under the dash.

kshinnall

Also got mine from TBP, no reception issues here. Using the 5.25 (new) speaker in the dash with two 6x9 pioneer box speakers in the back. Sounds pretty good to me!!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Cool.. U def can't go wrong with TBP, most of the time my first stop on a parts hunt....

I picked up mine from TBP, and I am happy with it. No reception issues. It almost has too many options with 2 auxiliary, subwoofer out, 2 usb, microphone, BT, RCA out and speaker out, but it is really compact and looks nice. Got the new dual cone retro speaker for my dash, so it is probably overkill having everything else with just one speaker - but I like the stock look.

BTW, TBP has a great installation video that helped me get it installed in minutes. Being on the bench probably helped a bunch too, not having to crawl around under the dash.

Y'all go Vote :D
http://top4x4sites.com/cgi-bin/arp/rankem.cgi?id=oldford

bryan

Loc.
Charlotte

Do you find that just the dash speaker (from Tom's?) is loud enough w the top down? I had bought 2 JBL charge bluetooth speakers to hide in the cab, but will have to return em. Not really loud enough- I guess I'm really asking for recommendations

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
We have two FM stations in our entire VALLEY so when I say the best reception FM tuner out there is the Pioneer SuperTuner III (or whatever their latest model is) it's because it works... If you have to mount this in your console or hide it somewhere then that is what I would recommend. Have probably bought 10 or 12 of them in the past 25 years for campers, Broncos, cars, etc.

Nothing else seemed to come close to pulling in our two stations all over the Valley. I understand you wanting to stay retro, just an update if you do need to go with a different unit.

Good luck!

NYC Bronco

Also got mine from TBP, no reception issues here. Using the 5.25 (new) speaker in the dash with two 6x9 pioneer box speakers in the back. Sounds pretty good to me!!

tell me more about the 6x9 boxes, placement, brand, local or online purchase?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
X2 on the pioneer stuff. I've run em in a few of my trucks and they have far outlasted any other brand in the dust and vibration of a 4x4.

Jaxgtc

Do you find that just the dash speaker (from Tom's?) is loud enough w the top down? I had bought 2 JBL charge bluetooth speakers to hide in the cab, but will have to return em. Not really loud enough- I guess I'm really asking for recommendations

I usually run with the top on and windows down and at higher speeds (55+) you do have to crank that one speaker up pretty high. On local roads it is fine. An audiophile will probably want something more sophisticated. The speaker and amp options with the retrosound will probably have you setup for just about anything you want to do.

OP
OP
J

JamieP

Loc.
Nixa, MO.
We have two FM stations in our entire VALLEY so when I say the best reception FM tuner out there is the Pioneer SuperTuner III (or whatever their latest model is) it's because it works... If you have to mount this in your console or hide it somewhere then that is what I would recommend. Have probably bought 10 or 12 of them in the past 25 years for campers, Broncos, cars, etc.

Nothing else seemed to come close to pulling in our two stations all over the Valley. I understand you wanting to stay retro, just an update if you do need to go with a different unit.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. My reception is so bad the one of the strongest stations in Springfield Mo. is ktts and I live 10 miles outside of the city and BARELY can get reception for it. But in my Explorer I can get this station 80 miles away. Just pitiful.