• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Returning to 20 year project need Engine help

kdaug5

Contributor
Hello Bronco owners. Like the title says I'm getting back to a 1972 Bronco project that stopped nearly 20 years ago.

A little history and progress. The Bronco was stripped and body removed. The frame added some double hoop front mounts and the Toyota inner shocks for rear. Then the frame was powder coated. Front and rear axles were rebuilt and mounted, fuel tank, 3.5 front could, rear springs basically it rolls. I do have lots of parts new and old parts. It rolls around in my garage and the body is off and will need some love.

So now the kids are older and I need to finish this lost project. Would consider taking somewhere to possibly get the project moving but couldn't afford a full resto. Ok so I have been shopping for engines. I'm considering a 351w which looks to be 5k plus or going all out on a Coyote if could be done around 10k? Would like to hear any experiences, maybe some local guys too that do some of this work. Budget is about 15k maybe squeeze 20k to get the Bronco on the road. Not painted and finished but driveable.

Appreciate the feedback. What vendors you guys like and use for pricing and quality. I did use mostly BC Broncos parts when they were here locally in Ca.
Thank you,
Kenny

Last edited:

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, to help you figure this out, decide what you like better. A 351 is a bolt in, with some minor mods, where most everything you need is available as fast as you can pay for it, while a Coyote is a lot of fabrication, trial and error, along with a computer and all the wiring needed, and where to mount all that. I understand why the Explorer 5.0 swap appeals to many guys. Good luck

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
With that budget I would steer clear of the coyote. Stick with something that will just bolt in. So Windsor small block stuff. Then you aren’t trying to reinvent the wheel. Everything that was on your bronco will bolt back up to it with little effort. Might need some brackets for the front drive but those are out there if you go 351. You could also build a really nice 306 for not a lot and need nothing if you already have a 302/289 bronco.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Get everything on the body, except maybe front clip, then get the engine.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Hello Bronco owners. Like the title says I'm getting back to a 1972 Bronco project that stopped nearly 20 years ago.

A little history and progress. The Bronco was stripped and body removed. The frame added some double hoop front mounts and the Toyota inner shocks for rear. Then the frame was powder coated. Front and rear axles were rebuilt and mounted, fuel tank, 3.5 front could, rear springs basically it rolls. I do have lots of parts new and old parts. It rolls around in my garage and the body is off and will need some love.

So now the kids are older and I need to finish this lost project. Would consider taking somewhere to possibly get the project moving but couldn't afford a full resto. Ok so I have been shopping for engines. I'm considering a 351w which looks to be 5k plus or going all out on a Coyote if could be done around 10k? Would like to hear any experiences, maybe some local guys too that do some of this work. Budget is about 15k maybe squeeze 20k to get the Bronco on the road. Not painted and finished but driveable.

Appreciate the feedback. What vendors you guys like and use for pricing and quality. I did use mostly BC Broncos parts when they were here locally in Ca.
Thank you,
Kenny
Welcome back to your project. I had a similar break although I originally built my engine back then and it sat...

Anyway, best of luck and like said above, Coyote isn't cheap and you need a lot for it. If you're on a budget, find a complete explorer 351w. You'll find plenty of other places to spend any additional money. There are SOOOO many more fun things to add to your Bronco these days than there were 20 years ago. Check out my build in my link below to see what's happened to me after a 24 year break. Now I'm finally getting there.

OP
OP
kdaug5

kdaug5

Contributor
Appreciate the feedback. I am a dreamer and love the Coyote Broncos. But like you guys have said above just go sbf so thats what I'm going to do. I actually had a daily driver 1968 F100 for about 7 years and sold it last year. I added a 351w, Holley Sniper, and Hyperspark over time and it ran great. Now I need to get this Bronco going. I will be reading more of ba123 build. Lots of good stuff.

I see there are threads on engine comparisons so I need to keep reading. I've also been looking into the built engines by Blueprint, Phoenix, ATK. Would like to get one ordered just need to find the right one. Thanks again

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Don’t count out your local builders. You can probably find someone more local that can build you something for cheap and you won’t have to pay to ship it anywhere.