• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Revised Paint Code resource List

TPTFPS68

Loc.
Mexico, Mo
1976 code 6

I'm trying to find a color chip for 1976 code 6. The Ohio decoder says that it's dark brown, but this thread does not list a code 6 for 76. Any help?

Attachments

• 06-21-15 011.jpg
    06-21-15 011.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 49

jdgary

Loc.
Wilmington, NC
This is a great thread and very helpful when trying to figure out what color I want to use. Plan on changing the color but want to keep it correct to the year.
Does anyone know the code for the gray uses on the 66 dash and door panels???

5_oh_bronco

Loc.
Grand Junction
I need a little help on interior colors. I've got a 1970 that I'm painting and I want to use original colors. My exterior is Candy Apple Red, and the original interior (as far as I can tell) was Parchment. What paint code do I use for the dash panel and door panels?

Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think I've heard where it was called another color, or was another color, but I've always thought that Wimbledon White was original, or at least the best fall-back color for any Ford.
But especially Broncos.

I'm sure someone will confirm, and I should know after all these years, but wait for someone more knowledgeable with color history.
But Wimbledon White always gets my vote.

Paul

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I too thought it was Wimbledon White, but it's not. It is light parchment which is a bit more yellow. It's also less glossy than a standard exterior finish.

I got a set of dealer FoMoCo paint books a little while back that lists some interior colors, I'll have to see if the codes in there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Photo from my 1970 dealership paint supply book.

Note that the "White" listed next to it is a satin interior white, not Wimbledon White.

e6a710a99c5e0c88180d8e9495d434df.jpg

Last edited:

Tulsa76bronco

Thought I had hot ginger Polly?

Now that I saw this thread not so sure what do u think. My door sticker says the date of bronco is 2/76, no color code on door even though it has a line for color. My painter has my dash so I can't check the glove box but I am almost positive that color is Z. Do I have Z hot ginger metallic 75 or Z Copper Metallic from 76 chart. Seems like it was built so early in year that I might have the hot ginger poly. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1554.jpg
    IMG_1554.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 18

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
February of '76 is still a '76 model year Bronco. But that doesn't really mean anything when colors are concerned apparently. Plenty of changes, mistakes, and probably special order stuff too, to really make our life miserable 40 years on.

I wonder if the Parchment color maintained it's paint code and actual color over the years?

Paul

71Broncitis

Now that I saw this thread not so sure what do u think. My door sticker says the date of bronco is 2/76, no color code on door even though it has a line for color. My painter has my dash so I can't check the glove box but I am almost positive that color is Z. Do I have Z hot ginger metallic 75 or Z Copper Metallic from 76 chart. Seems like it was built so early in year that I might have the hot ginger poly. Thoughts?
I believe this is the case where the same color was called different things different years.

Here's pics if the 74-77 Ford paint book inserts. Notice the base part number is the same for all color code Z.

Also note at the top of the heading in the one pic where it says color then promotional name is indicated by the parentheses ( )

With that said, yours is right in the middle of 76 model year production, so even if there were slight variations between years, I'd go with 76.

However, the best way is to have your paint supplier color scan and match a part that has not been weathered, like the glovebox door. Numerous times we've had paint mixed by the code on the vehicle and in the book, and it's a couple shades off. Usually not a big deal if doing a total repaint, bit when repairing just one panel it sure is. Even settings on the gun with air pressure and other variables can change the match, especially with metallics. We went through this with the 77 Ranger we had in color code Z when we had to do a few touchups to a repaint from 10 years prior. Our local PPG distributor has an old timer that's a master matching. He even had my friend who does most of our paint bring in his gun so he could dial it in during his test spray outs that he did to match the gas cap door we gave him.

bbd87a35e4a066d517a40a65fe718592.jpg
f89971c09c4bc2ee8dc75ca9ac0e5d31.jpg
c89124766ec8647df338992b4614eae5.jpg
1f860311401fa37891c157304a9b6283.jpg

Last edited:

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I need a little help on interior colors. I've got a 1970 that I'm painting and I want to use original colors. My exterior is Candy Apple Red, and the original interior (as far as I can tell) was Parchment. What paint code do I use for the dash panel and door panels?

Thanks!

I ended up cleaning up a decent glove box door and had my local pint supplier scan it to mix up some base coat close enough to the original parchment for me.
though the original paint was a flatter, satin type single stage finish, I will painting this one with base coat clear coat. I have not sprayed the dash or door panels yet but I did use the base to tint the liner I sprayed inside the tub.

Here's some pictures of the glove box door test... new paint is on the left.
also the paint can in case it can help anyone down the road.

Attachments

• IMG_8570.jpg
    IMG_8570.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_8571.jpg
    IMG_8571.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_8572.jpg
    IMG_8572.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8569.jpg
    IMG_8569.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_8568.jpg
    IMG_8568.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7765.jpg
    IMG_7765.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7749.jpg
    IMG_7749.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
We tried using the satin parchment on some parts, but one problem was the paint booth we use is just not clean enough.

With gloss, you can easily buff out any stray piece of dust or imperfections. With the matte finish, you end up with a glossy spot when you try that.

I'm not sure how the guys doing total matte finish paint jobs handle this, bit the traditional way of wet sanding and buffing out some minor crap in the paint does not work the same.

Lawndart

Loc.
My '73 is a Y code (Burnt Orange) Explorer edition.
Like the listing in the first post, I have seen several listings for 73 and the Y code is omitted.

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
My '73 is a Y code (Burnt Orange) Explorer edition.
Like the listing in the first post, I have seen several listings for 73 and the Y code is omitted.

The reason is that each of these are non standard production colors for the model year and the original Ford dealership paint books and color selection charts I have are for the beginning of the model year.

The Explorer package was always sold as a mid year sales promotion package during the "Limited Edition Sale" events, so any special offerings for colors or trim packages are not contained within the reference materials that are produced at the beginning of the model year.

I need to verify each of these from an original vehicle unless I can find another FoMoCo reference book which includes them all.

If you notice on the listings for 1976, I have Color Code H, Medium Copper, which is on an Explorer as well, but I have not been able to verify it in a book yet.

Jaxgtc

I ended up cleaning up a decent glove box door and had my local pint supplier scan it to mix up some base coat close enough to the original parchment for me.
though the original paint was a flatter, satin type single stage finish, I will painting this one with base coat clear coat. I have not sprayed the dash or door panels yet but I did use the base to tint the liner I sprayed inside the tub.

Here's some pictures of the glove box door test... new paint is on the left.
also the paint can in case it can help anyone down the road.

I really like the way the floor pans look with the parchment tint in the liner. From a distance it actually looks like the rubber mat. Curious what you did with the "bronco" emblem on the hump. Any chance we can see a closeup?

Thanks for the mixture codes on the can. Based on the pictures you have a really nice match. My dash is out for paint now and I don't know how the parchment will turn out.

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Here's a new table I created that lists all avalable colors alphabetically and then by years they were availalbe with the code for each year.

I've run across several discrepencies with these codes and think I have most of them worked out. If you see any others, please PM me with the details and any reference material that may clear it up.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12orB5nibzt0vFm5UQsHHT216DPDP60WS/view?usp=sharing

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now THAT, is a beautiful thing to see...:D
Thanks for taking the time to do it. (of course here's where we insert the words to the effect that you can now get your life back!;D)
And here's where we insert the big thumbs-up emoji...

Paul

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri

RT9

Can you tell me if this is Light Turquoise?
5b203e1f3e54c781836af382a4916810.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Can you tell me if this is Light Turquoise?
5b203e1f3e54c781836af382a4916810.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

That is much too dark for Light / Frost Turquoise. It looks like Caribbean Turquoise which is another 66 color.