• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rivnuts for hardtop

MonsterBIlly

Has anyone here used a rivnut set for the hardtop?
If so, do you have any dislikes?
Does it create a gap between the top and body?
If there is a small gap, does the gasket seal it or maybe just double up the gasket!
Anybody here have pics?

nickgp

Bronco Guru
They won’t cause an issue w a gap. However, you need to be “ dead nuts” on alignment! You will loose adjustability.

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
I suggest trial installation (Rivnut) on a scrap piece of metal (same as Bronco area). You'll see first hand what you have. And, I think you might find Rivnuts for a flush mount.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I’ve used rivnuts on many trucks. Even on the windshield frame. Never had issues with alignment on any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The main issue is the distribution of the forces onto the thin sheet metal. Originally, there were large washers that bore against ~1/2 sq.in. each; and apparently, that's enough (if all the bolts & washers are used). But if you reduce that area to the tiny lip of a rivnut, and then go wheeling with the top on, you'll quickly stretch the sheet metal to the point of cracking and releasing the rivnuts like a zipper. Welding nuts to a long plate is MUCH stronger, and the plate can either be captive (so it slides when the bolts are loose, for alignment) or glued (just so it doesn't fall off when the last bolt is removed - not such that it can't be removed if necessary; maybe just with some foam tape at dips between the nuts).

AZ73

Bronco Guru
I welded nuts to steel bar that was drilled and tapped to match the holes in the quarter, and used panel bonding adhesive to glue the bar to the underside.

pbwcr

10-4 the nuts welded to the steel bar was the oem solution. The distribution of the force by the bar minimizes the bed rail distortion.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
The main issue is the distribution of the forces onto the thin sheet metal. Originally, there were large washers that bore against ~1/2 sq.in. each; and apparently, that's enough (if all the bolts & washers are used). But if you reduce that area to the tiny lip of a rivnut, and then go wheeling with the top on, you'll quickly stretch the sheet metal to the point of cracking and releasing the rivnuts like a zipper. Welding nuts to a long plate is MUCH stronger, and the plate can either be captive (so it slides when the bolts are loose, for alignment) or glued (just so it doesn't fall off when the last bolt is removed - not such that it can't be removed if necessary; maybe just with some foam tape at dips between the nuts).

This one ^^^^

I made a flat bar with weld nuts for my 71.

On my 67 I bought a product called Steve's Nut's in the For Sale section. Similar to what I made, but already done. He also provided the same for the windshield/top bolts.

JohnT

Loc.
West Virginia
I made I’m with flat bar , I actually started out with a bar thick enough that I tap it 5/16 thread for bolts for the top, then I countersink taper head Allen bolts to hold it to the body when I removed the top. Worked out great .

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I used rivnuts with no problem. I also ran with just 2 of the original bolts on each side for about 10 yrs. The rear quarters bowed out at the top and broke the rear corner braces. This caused no problem at the rail top. It was cured by tying the rail to the role bar. The little lip on the top of he rivnuts is too thin to interfere with the rubber seal. It's easy to anticipate problems that never occur.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
riv nuts are great until any corrosion gets in the way then they get stuck on the bolt and just spin. the best rivnuts I ever used were Chrysler products where they go into pre punched hex holes they don't spin. nice stuff but no way to punch the hex holes.