• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rochester Qjet issues

bronco italiano

Bronco Guru
Since you have two tanks I would go with:
1- Carter external pump P4600HP
2- WH accumulator/filter
3- Fuel pressure regulator with return

I am running this on my qjet FE390 motor

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
1- low psi fuel pump for a carb is all you need. Example: I don't know of a single OE application where a high pressure pump was ever used for a carb. Yes your fuel has a return line but if you route your fuel line away from heat sources & if needed wrap it (insulate) you will not ever have a hot fuel issue so a return line complicates your install.

2- that Carter mentioned above has great specs

3- personally, the WH accumulator just adds complexity for a cual tank, carb'd mechanical fuel pump engine. It was/is designed for allowing dual tanks to be used with a low & high pressure pump for efi which is it's intended use.
Not sure what benefit you would have with it as you will not starve for fuel with the Carter pump, you don't need an extra filter and if you do, run smaller ones without the plumbing/mounting difficulties. There isn't an OE application of using an accumulator for a simple fuel pump with regulator for a carb that I know of.

The old KISS saying applies here.

The benefit of the regulator allows you to have a good pump like that Carter that can supply the volume of fuel your engine requires and yet dial in the pressure that your needle and seat can regulate properly when your engine (carb) is off camber.

If you do a search here on CB there ought to be lot's of pics of us all running Qjet's backwards back in the day before the advent of "bolt on" aftermarket EFI.

OP
OP
FORD*DIEHARD

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
So all I need to purchase is this? I know this is a crazy question, but does it matter where I purchase it from? Is there anything else I should buy at the same time (anything)? I know sometimes not everything is included so anyone that has purchased this please let me know.

I'm assuming this mounts somewhere on the firewall (any place better than another? Where would the place be putting off less heat?) Do the fuel lines go from the mechanical pump to this unit , then to the carb or fuel line from the electric tank selector valve to this unit to the mechanical pump then to the carb

Is there a place to put a gauge on this kit or would that be a totally different part?

If you have pictures of your set up installed I would like to see it. If you have the Rochester qjet set up with the Lokar throttle cable hooked up I would like to see a close up of that (both ways if possible, normal front facing qjet and a reverse/backwards qjet. (I just had the Lokar kickdown cable installed, if I did end up having to reverse the qjet would the cable still work or is a totally different mounting position?

If I am missing something or you have "POINTERS/TIPS" please share.

Thank you in advance for your time/help,

Sonny

Attachments

• 20240305_172722.jpg
    20240305_172722.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 8

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If you cand find one look for the old-school Cagle pressure regulator. They're manually adjustable and work with the engine vaccuum. To keep it running smooth. I don't think they're made anymore but they pop up online occasionally.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Lokar makes a little adapter pc (used to) to connect their cable to carbs which makes it easier.

I have no idea which regulator works the best anymore. Think I had an old Holley one from the early '90's and it worked

bronco italiano

Bronco Guru
1- low psi fuel pump for a carb is all you need. Example: I don't know of a single OE application where a high pressure pump was ever used for a carb. Yes your fuel has a return line but if you route your fuel line away from heat sources & if needed wrap it (insulate) you will not ever have a hot fuel issue so a return line complicates your install.

2- that Carter mentioned above has great specs

3- personally, the WH accumulator just adds complexity for a cual tank, carb'd mechanical fuel pump engine. It was/is designed for allowing dual tanks to be used with a low & high pressure pump for efi which is it's intended use.
Not sure what benefit you would have with it as you will not starve for fuel with the Carter pump, you don't need an extra filter and if you do, run smaller ones without the plumbing/mounting difficulties. There isn't an OE application of using an accumulator for a simple fuel pump with regulator for a carb that I know of.

The old KISS saying applies here.

The benefit of the regulator allows you to have a good pump like that Carter that can supply the volume of fuel your engine requires and yet dial in the pressure that your needle and seat can regulate properly when your engine (carb) is off camber.

If you do a search here on CB there ought to be lot's of pics of us all running Qjet's backwards back in the day before the advent of "bolt on" aftermarket EFI.
Thanks for "roping me in", the extremeness makes for lots of "overthinking".
-I will delete the WH accumulator.
-Not many good fuel regulators, I use the little Holley adjustable, with a gauge on it, return line, and ALWAYS buy a rebuild kit because they do fail after a few years use.
-My F-250 will get this regulator, https://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/regulator_bp.html the guy is well regarded for quality parts.

Last edited:

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I dont think I am currently running any type of regulator (unless its built into the carb) I also have the electric fuel tank selector switch from WH. I attached some photos from the mechanical fuel pump to carb.

Ok, so researching what has been recommended (high pressure pump with return bypass) I have some additional questions;

1- there are several different ones out there, which one is recommended (not cheap and not the most expensive but something that will last?

2- if I have dual tanks is there one available for a dual tank? My rear tank is an aftermarket (23 gallon and I believe it already has a return port available which I do not believe the stock auxiliary tank has). Since I have a 23 gallon tear tank I dont think in would ever use that much fuel on a single day trail or within a couple days, could I just get a unit with a single return and just use my main tank when offroading ?

3- regarding (Ol'Blues's ) question with under the hood temps, can anyone help with that? Is it necessary to find/get this temperature? How do you take underhhod temps to see what it is? How do you help regulate/control this? Again I have the fiberglass cowl hood with holes already, I thought that was the purpose of putting these vents in (photos attached)
Hope I didn't sway you, I didn't recommend a hi pressure, I stated that's what I use. You do you. I think a hi pressure solves a lot of flow issues, and keeps fuel circulating. It also came with fuel tank, and as I planned to one day go EFI, is my work around more than trying to solve a carb flow issue. But it works great. Even a lower pressure carter pump, can use a bypass regulator, end with the same result.

Aeromotive is the bypass regulator I used, not cheap, not cheap because it works. I also used two aeromotive fuel pressure gauges to verify 4.5 psi at pump and 4.5 at carb. Those are permanently mounted. One by carb leaked it's oil bath out and I chased a supposed engine leak for months, it was the gauge leaking. It doesn't need oil to work.

Dual tanks, when I had them, I ran outlet of small to big one, when big one ran low, I pumped it into big one. The under seat valve proved leaky no matter what I did. There is an electric valve used on bigger trucks, I found that to cumbersome with something like 6 hose lines, none of them the size I wanted meaning adapters totaling 18 fitting points and leak potentials.

Under hood temps, irrelevant IMO, and I live in or lived in Phoenix, it's hot, 200-300 degrees. If your carb has a spacer between it and intake, that should insulate it enough. There are aluminum plates you can buy as well. I just used a phenolic 1/2 spacer between carb and intake. Also needed it to get throttle linkage to not rub on intake. I have 2 inch body lift so no hood clearance issues.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Good stuff about the aeromotive reg's!!

Underwood heat seems to kill gas hood struts! I found this out after getting three replaced (same company) and since I cut the inner fenders out (knock on wood), no replacements in 7yrs.

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
Hope I didn't sway you, I didn't recommend a hi pressure, I stated that's what I use. You do you. I think a hi pressure solves a lot of flow issues, and keeps fuel circulating. It also came with fuel tank, and as I planned to one day go EFI, is my work around more than trying to solve a carb flow issue. But it works great. Even a lower pressure carter pump, can use a bypass regulator, end with the same result.

Aeromotive is the bypass regulator I used, not cheap, not cheap because it works. I also used two aeromotive fuel pressure gauges to verify 4.5 psi at pump and 4.5 at carb. Those are permanently mounted. One by carb leaked it's oil bath out and I chased a supposed engine leak for months, it was the gauge leaking. It doesn't need oil to work.

Dual tanks, when I had them, I ran outlet of small to big one, when big one ran low, I pumped it into big one. The under seat valve proved leaky no matter what I did. There is an electric valve used on bigger trucks, I found that to cumbersome with something like 6 hose lines, none of them the size I wanted meaning adapters totaling 18 fitting points and leak potentials.

Under hood temps, irrelevant IMO, and I live in or lived in Phoenix, it's hot, 200-300 degrees. If your carb has a spacer between it and intake, that should insulate it enough. There are aluminum plates you can buy as well. I just used a phenolic 1/2 spacer between carb and intake. Also needed it to get throttle linkage to not rub on intake. I have 2 inch body lift so no hood clearance issues.
do you have s pic of this setup?

OP
OP
FORD*DIEHARD

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
I APPRECIATE EVERYONES SUGGESTIONS, I know we all have different set ups for different purposes and what works for some might not work for me. I am still trying to learn that's why I ask questions and post pictures to make sure I am explaining what I am trying to say.

So before I try turning the qjet backwards because like I mentioned I just had the (Lokar kickdown cable) installed and sound like that would have to be modified to work and have to purchase the (Lokar throttle cable) if I'm wrong please let me know.

So is this the fuel pump that "get rid of the issue"(see attached photo). Again, going off suggestions, I was able to find a (Cagle pressure regulator- it was used, I have not received it yet to see the condition but thata all I could find. I wanted to ask if a used one would be ok but the way it sounds is that if you find one you should get it.....so I did. So I am asking now, should I use the used cagle pressure regulator or shoukd I just purchase something new, and if so what shoukd I purchase (name/part number would be appreciated if you have it).

Installation question- if you have or able to draw (for a kindergartener) a sketch of where the fuel pump and regulator should be mounted? Under the Bronco on the chassis by the gas tank , closer to the front......?

If I'm missing anything important, please do think you will hurt my feelings tell me how it is....

Thank you EVERYONE in advance for your time/help,

Sonny

Attachments

• 20240309_095315.jpg
    20240309_095315.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240309_095329.jpg
    20240309_095329.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
FORD*DIEHARD

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
Just got the Cagle fuel regulator with another part labled PUROLATOR "PRO-FUEL".

Both are used. Should I use them or should I just get new stuff? They dont look beat up but again who knows about the internal stuff (not sure if anything could be/go wrong).

Attachments

• 20240309_171201.jpg
    20240309_171201.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240309_171209.jpg
    20240309_171209.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240309_171232.jpg
    20240309_171232.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240309_171215.jpg
    20240309_171215.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240309_171223.jpg
    20240309_171223.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
FORD*DIEHARD

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
How would you know if a "solid top gasket " was used? Would that be a good or bad thing?

Here are some more photos of the carb if it helps?

Attachments

• 20240311_113558.jpg
    20240311_113558.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240311_113603.jpg
    20240311_113603.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240311_113610.jpg
    20240311_113610.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240311_113631.jpg
    20240311_113631.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240311_113654.jpg
    20240311_113654.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240311_113700.jpg
    20240311_113700.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240311_113916.jpg
    20240311_113916.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240311_113901.jpg
    20240311_113901.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 12

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Regarding under hood temps. If its too hot, you can often hear the gas boiling in the carb with the engine. To test, when it starts to die or dies completely, turn the engine off, pull the air cleaner off and pump the gas while looking down the carb to see if gas flows out the jets.

Probably not the cause but a good idea to check to make sure the air cleaner is not interfering with any of the linkage including the choke butterfly and accelerator pump arm/lever.

OP
OP
FORD*DIEHARD

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
I notched out the air cleaner for the throttle kickdown bar , so that's not interfering.

I will look into the carb next time.

How would you insulate the fuel line? Would you just insulate it from the mechanical pump to the carb or also back from the pump to fuel tanks?

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I notched out the air cleaner for the throttle kickdown bar , so that's not interfering.

I will look into the carb next time.

How would you insulate the fuel line? Would you just insulate it from the mechanical pump to the carb or also back from the pump to fuel tanks?

Great. Make sure its not interfering with this arm as well. The air cleaner stud in this pic makes me think your air cleaner sits low, but it could be just cut off in the pic.

You can also take the same hill without the air cleaner to test.

Attachments

• Inked20240311_113603_LI.jpg
    Inked20240311_113603_LI.jpg
    965.1 KB · Views: 7

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/32030/10002/-1 This is an example of some insulation for the lines. I's put it on the line anywhere it gets close to the exhaust, and that stretch that goes to the carb over the intake. Gets pretty warm in that area. You can use this type of stuff too. I prefer it over the tape. https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/32010/10002/-1