• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ron Francis ignition switch

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas
I have just started installing my RF wiring harness and already have a question. I was wondering what you guys did for your Ignition switch.

I would much rather stay with the original ignition switch so that all the dash bezels match. Plus the RF switch doesn’t cover up the entire hole in the dash. What did you guys do?

brian72

Early Bronco Student
I re-used my ignition switch...

Do you mean light switch?

OP
OP

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas
Mainly ignition switch

actually both. I was thinking I could do some surgey on the light switch and get the original bezel to work with the new switch. The ignition switch I havent come up with a plan for it yet...So your RF harness didnt come with a new Ign switch?

brian72

Early Bronco Student
it did come with a new ignition switch...but I used the original, worked fine. You are running new wires, just run them accordingly.

OP
OP

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas
brian72 said:
it did come with a new ignition switch...but I used the original, worked fine. You are running new wires, just run them accordingly.

so did you use butt splicers to tie in the plug for the original switch?

ransil

Bronco Guru
77TexasBronc said:
so did you use butt splicers to tie in the plug for the original switch?

Butt splices would be bad :( .
Defeats the purpose of installing a new harness, most Bronco owners install new harness because they have too many unreliable hacked up splices in the Bronco already.

If I was to re-do mine I would find the Ford ign switch terminals and use the stick plug & ign switch.

Here is how I installed the RF switch:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55480&page=3&highlight=bronco+project

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Speaking of RF - Can ya'll 77TexasBronc or Ransil take a pic of the top of the fuse block. For some reason I am now blowing fuses. I have pulled and swapped around because I don't have extra fuses....now I don't remember what goes where. Or can you just out line for me..like far left 15,5,10...middle 5,5,5...you get my drift.

thanks
brian

OP
OP

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas
brian72 said:
Speaking of RF - Can ya'll 77TexasBronc or Ransil take a pic of the top of the fuse block. For some reason I am now blowing fuses. I have pulled and swapped around because I don't have extra fuses....now I don't remember what goes where. Or can you just out line for me..like far left 15,5,10...middle 5,5,5...you get my drift.

thanks
brian

Here you go. let me know if this works for you..

Can you snap me a photo on how you wired your Ignition switch?

Attachments

• bronco.jpg
    bronco.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas
ransil said:
Butt splices would be bad :( .
Defeats the purpose of installing a new harness, most Bronco owners install new harness because they have too many unreliable hacked up splices in the Bronco already.

If I was to re-do mine I would find the Ford ign switch terminals and use the stick plug & ign switch.

Here is how I installed the RF switch:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55480&page=3&highlight=bronco+project

I totally agree on the butt splices and really dont plan on going that route.
You did a a great job with the adaptor however I dont have a source for one, so wiring up the original switch is what I am going to need to figure out.

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
Shielded female spade connectors will work if you don't use the plug-in gizmo. Or if you can find 90 degree connectors you might be able to get creative with it.

Attachments

• oldswitch-newswitch.jpg
    oldswitch-newswitch.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 121