• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roof rack on roll cage?

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
I thought it would be an good to have a roof rack on top of the roll cage. I drive the EB to baseball and football practice often, and with 2 boys carrying bat bags, catching gear, helmet and shoulder pads, water coolers etc it's hard to get it all in the back. Anyone have something like this? Did you buy it or build it? Pictures, thanks

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I have this one:

http://www.discountramps.com/roof-top-basket.htm

Used it on a Rubicon trip in June. I'll try to post some pictures. I just used some u-bolts to secure it. For the price and time saved it wasn't worth attempting to build something. It's fully welded compared to some that you bolt two halves together. But it's on the heavy side. I put the lightweight camping gear in it like sleeping bags and camp chairs to keep the center of gravity from being too high. That website has a few different sizes.

Airborne69

Loc.
Moorpark, CA
I've actually had the same idea for quite a long time now. I want to use something like these to make the rack easily removable:

PARALLEL4.JPG

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
I hope you guys come up with some good ideas and post them, because if I ever get my rig where I want it, a roof rack is going to be absolutely necessary. I want to take my 12' fishing kayak to the lake on top the Bronco. It sure ain't going to fit in the back.

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
Heres a link to a Bronco with a pretty sweet rack.:cool:

http://www.bronco-works.com/

Sweet, I wonder how it is mounted with the soft top on? I emailed the guy to see if he could help me out with more information. I also found another picture, but this one is mounted on the roll car so a soft top wouldn't work

Attachments

• dscn7793.jpg
    dscn7793.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 172

HB73

My Canback top has holes where the racks attach. With the screws tightened down on the rubber grommets, there is no leakage. The racks attach to the Canback frame directly. Unfortunately, it's back in paint for final touchup before finish assembly, so no pics currently.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
Going through a section of Rubicon Springs. You can see my 2yo peeking through the cage. The basket is just secured with 4 u-bolts. It has a couple camp chairs and two duffles. Duffles have sleeping bags, sleeping pads, and clothes. The straps holding the duffles down do go around the cage. My wife made the white canvas top over the rear to shade the kids. It's held on with velcro and a couple bungee cords. Worst part was driving on the road back. The wind is deflected down right onto the driver and passenger. Not so bad when it's 70* but when it's 108* it sucks.

qivb.jpg

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Here's a link to a bunch of ideas!!!

Roof rack pictures

As far as attaching.....

• without top you could weld to top of rollbar
  • without top you could take a slightly larger diameter piece of pipe and cut to wrap top half and bolt into cage
  • with top put a runner peice along side uptubes and bolt to cage...

Just ton of ideas..... if you are handy with fab tool (welder, grinder, cutoff, taps, etc) the options are limited to your's and other's imagination