• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

RTI ramping, not too bad!

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
Our club had a 4X4 show and shine today and we brought along our RTI ramp. After doing different mods to the EB, mostly, flipping the rear shackles, the EB ramped very well. Going up on the front end, I was able to ramp a perfect 1000, backwards was alot more. I geusstimate my rearward ramping to be around 1200, as my front tire was past the edge of the ramp by over 12". I parked next to my friend for a photo op, but did not back up as much. I should have additional pixs of my solo attempts later on, as I foprgot to take pictures then. I was amazed at the additional flex provided for by the rear shackle flip. A good mod if I must say! ;D

Attachments

• EB Ramp 1.JPG
    EB Ramp 1.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 225
  • EB ramp 2.JPG
    EB ramp 2.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 150

mountainlivin

Loc.
colorado springs
Hi cracker. remember me, the one you good people let me tag along on your wheeling trip to chinaman's. Nice pics. From what I remember following you, you already had some great flex. Do you know my bronco has been torn apart since shortly after that trip to BV? I did a wristed axle housing and some spring rockers for more of that wonder drug we call ;D FLEX ;D . The place I ordered the springs from sent the wrond lift size and I am still waiting for the right ones. How was Montrose? So when it is all back together you want to go do some more Colorado crawlin? You all are a great group.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
mountainlivin said:
Hi cracker. remember me, the one you good people let me tag along on your wheeling trip to chinaman's. Nice pics. From what I remember following you, you already had some great flex. Do you know my bronco has been torn apart since shortly after that trip to BV? I did a wristed axle housing and some spring rockers for more of that wonder drug we call ;D FLEX ;D . The place I ordered the springs from sent the wrond lift size and I am still waiting for the right ones. How was Montrose? So when it is all back together you want to go do some more Colorado crawlin? You all are a great group.

Glad to hear that you are getting it back together. I doubt that I will be out and about for a while, as my wife is due any day now. Our club has trips planned almost every weekend thru August. So, it is possible that I may be able to "sneek" out now and again. %) Be careful of those spring rockers, a few on the board here had them and did not like there on road characteristics. Too loose in the rear end on cornering from what I have head.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
broncodude_73 said:
what kind of shackle flip did you do?

I move the front mounts up approx. 3" for better clearance and rotated the rear spring hangers. The shackle now hangs down, not up, like factory.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
68 Broncoholic said:
I'd like to see photos if you got any.
Here are a couple of pics of mine in case you are curious. They provide about 2" of lift. (Requires cutting the spring perches off to rotate the pinion back to where it needs to be.) I also moved the front mounts up about 1 1/2" and back about 3" to extend the wheelbase. With 5 1/2" front coils and 3 1/2" rear leafs it sits level. (You can adjust the lift provided with shorter or longer shackles though) Just be careful if you do it not to put the shackle straight up and down. If you do it will bend the springs.

Attachments

• SaddleUp72.jpg
    SaddleUp72.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 59
  • SaddleUp73.jpg
    SaddleUp73.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 73

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
How far back can you go with the leafs before getting into the fish mouth section of the rear frame? Guess when I get home I can measure. Also pulling yours back 3" did you have to get a longer rear driveline?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
68 Broncoholic said:
How far back can you go with the leafs before getting into the fish mouth section of the rear frame? Guess when I get home I can measure. Also pulling yours back 3" did you have to get a longer rear driveline?
If you are doing a shackle flip then you will run into the gas tank with the differential before you run into problems with the frame length. As for the driveline my situation differed from most because I changed my entire drivetrain. (My front and rear drivelines are swapped) I moved my axle more to fit the drivetrain than anything else and didn't have to lengthen the driveline. Under the normal situation it would have been required though.