• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rubicon jeepers trip, first timer questions

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
This is my first real off-road trip that I have taken and I have no idea of what to expect. I have a few questions for those of you that have been on the run. First, what spares would you recomend bringing. Should I bring my winch? Should I pull off the doors to prevent damage, remove spare gas can holder also to prevent damage? Everthing on my bronco is new so I don't anticipate major components to fail, ie: starter, alt. etc. More worred about u-joints, out- put on dana 20 ect. I would like to prevent as much unnessary damage as possible! I know it not going to look as good as it does now, but a few scars won't hurt. I realy don't want to give the jeep guys any reason to rip me any more than normal .Thanks for your advice.

BRONKEN

Loc.
Morgan Hill, Ca
If you want we can get together and I can help you with the details. I have had a couple of my bronco's on the jeepers jamboree with no problems. I live in Morgan Hill so you are real close by. Let me know if you are interested.

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
I would make sure you have good skid plates and hopefully have low gearing. I don't know how much you have done, but the rubicon is rough on first timers.

How many spare parts you need will depend alot on the overall condition of your vehicle, and your driving. One of the first things I learned is to keep your foot off the clutch. If you need to slow down while in the middle of an obstacle use the brake, don't push in the clutch.

I don't really know what kind of info your looking for, but if you want some info on driving, Somewhere on the web is a good article titled "offroad driving faq". I think it's on 4x4now.com.

The rubicon was my first rough trail, and it was alot rougher than I expected!

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
With a bronco like that and some good driving you should be able to make it look easy. I'd just take some tools if you are going with some buddies.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Honestly, make sure you don't overheat. Pretty much everything else won't really break on the trail if you drive semi-sanely. If those punk-ass Jeep guys ever want to see what their 4 liter can do send 'em my way. I will introduce them to the 408Ford. And no, the 408 part is not because I live in Los Gatos...

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
Bring shade, you will be sitting at idle for long time, more than moving.....

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Should you bring your winch and gas cans?
Are they functional, or there for cosmetics?
If you do break a u-joint or an axle, it is not gonna be in clean flat spot where u can fix it. I don't know how long the trail is but I do know you will be getting the worst mpg you've ever experienced.

scott68

Loc.
Reno ,Nevada
Overheating, broke front axel U- joints and broken rear axels seem to be the most common problems I see on Rubicon. I always carry belts, hoses, radiator cap, hose clamps, bailng wire , duct tape, electrical wire , wire ties, wire connectors, P/S fluid gear lube, brake fluid, oil and anti freeze for starters. Any spare parts you have room for are a good idea. Don't be fooled by the fact the Rubicon is at a high altitude. It can get very hot, making lots of water a must. Drive carefully and have a great time.

OP
OP
C

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
I hope I won"t have any heating problems since I just put in a big Howe aluminum radaitor and a fixed 18" fan from BC. I am going to bring a couple of ujoints for the driveshafts but not for the d44 since it seams that when the go they take out the shafts ???. will bring new warn hubs, miss elect relays and fuzes. I will also take 5 Gal of water for radiator, trans and engine oil, welding rod, jumpers, 10 extra gal of gas which will bring total to 46! Miss. tools and of course duct tape ;D Thank you all for your help and encouragement . Cary