• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Running a little rich. How can I adjust the carb?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not a carb man at all so how can I adjust the stock 2bbl carb to where it doesn't run as rich. I'm gettin some black soot from the tailpipe. Where are the adjustment screws and which way to turn them.

thanks Much,

Blue

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
Adjustment screws are on the front under the fuel bowl. Turning them in should lean the mixture, out should richen. I've been told to turn them in one at a time until it stutters then back it off. I can never remember whether it's back it out 1/4 turn or 1 & 1/4 turn tho. Hope this helps a little.

Another thought would be to check the choke. If it's set too rich you can loosen the 3 screws that hold the ring around the choke spring cover and turn clockwise to lean it up.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
It might not be a bad idea to spray the choke assemly with carb cleaner too {engine off}. Take the idle screws out and spray in the hols with carb cleaner with the little red tube on the side of the can. If you dont have a vacuum gauge, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 should be close. If its a heated choke make sure the heat tube isnt stopped up with carbon and if its electric make sure you have 12 volts with the key on at the choke wire too.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
The adjusting screws only affect the mixture at idle. Once the throttle plates open these become afunctional. If your choke is opening properly and your running rich whilst driving, I suggest spending $14 for a rebuild kit. There isn't an easier carb to learn on.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D If it is running to rich cut down the jet size. like if you have 65's go to 60's and try that but dont go to far at a time as if you go tolean you will wipe out the pistons good luck.:p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p