• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Running Hot at idle in Florida

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Ok, like I said I live in Florida, it gets a little warm down here during the summer months. And I have an issue I want to solve before it gets TOO hot. What I got is a stock 302, headers, 4 barrel carb and a stock steel bladed fan (no clutch) with NO shroud. Replaced the thermostat with a 160 a few months ago because it was stuck. Going down the road it is fine. But when I sit and idle too long (5 minutes) it jumps up to 210-220 mark. Not kool. I was looking at the option of putting a shroud on it, but I have a 3 inch body lift, so that would take some modifying. Looking at getting a electric fan setup from my local Auto Parts place, but searching in this forum there are a lot of mixed reviews. I've seen where people are getting electric fans out of junk yards but still need some modification. Soooo, I guees what Im asking is what is my best (and cheapest) direction to go. Oh also the radiator is flowing fine.

Mtgrizzlymn

Mine gets hot to, good radiator thermostat ect fan is a flex fan on mine with shroud. Think I have the 190 thermostat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The factory 6/7? blade fan works well if you use a smaller diameter water pump pully and a fan shroud. Make sure your idle speed is 700 Rpm in gear if you have an automatic or 750 or so with a manual in neutral. I use a 180 degree robert shaw performance thermostat that is fully open at 180. Not all thermostats are created equall. 50/50 coolant mix and 15 lb radiator cap. Make sure you use an external coolant bottle and fill the radiator to the top. Block off around the radiator so the air in front goes through the radiator and doesn't go around or hot air on the backside doesn't get sucked around to the front.
if running an automatic get a big ass cooler and plumb it into the tranny lines before running into the radiator. Last big hit to any cooling system is running big tires with miss matched gearing especially if you have an automatic tranny.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's been my experience that the shroud is an absolute "must have" for these trucks.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Having no shroud is your problem. Solid blade fan with a shroud should remedy most overheating problems.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Having no shroud is your problem. Solid blade fan with a shroud should remedy most overheating problems.

This...^^^^^^

Shroud is a must. It forces the fan to pull air through the radiator. With no shroud at idle, the air that's being moved is around the engine compartment and not through the radiator.

160 stat is way too cold IMO. 180 or 185 should be ran. EFI likes a bit more heat so 195 for EFI.

Oh and 210-220 is not hot. My big block Mustang lives in that rage on hot days in traffic.

As for the electric fans, I run a 17 inch Derale on an American Eagle radiator and it keeps my 351W cool.

Tim

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Thanks guys. Shopping for a good shround for my 3 inch body lift.
Looking at this one but it doesnt look like it goes completely around the fan in this picture
https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/pro...oud-black-3-body-lift-66-77-early-ford-bronco

But I realy like this one but in the discription it says its for a 2-3 inch body lift but if I have a 3 inch body lift to select the 2 inch body lift shroud. Will I have to do some modifications??
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Full_Circle_Aluminum_Radiator_Shroud

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Thanks guys. Shopping for a good shround for my 3 inch body lift.
Looking at this one but it doesnt look like it goes completely around the fan in this picture
https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/pro...oud-black-3-body-lift-66-77-early-ford-bronco

This is the one on my Bronco and my body lift is 2". Having it and a solid blade, steel fan has kept mine cool for many years. You need a thermostat of about 180 to get the engine to a good operating temp. And as mentioned in post #7 above 210-220 degrees is not overheating. Most modern engines run 210 degrees all day long which is their typical operating temp.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
This is the one on my Bronco and my body lift is 2". Having it and a solid blade, steel fan has kept mine cool for many years. You need a thermostat of about 180 to get the engine to a good operating temp. And as mentioned in post #7 above 210-220 degrees is not overheating. Most modern engines run 210 degrees all day long which is their typical operating temp.

Thanks I have decided to get that one, that and a 6 bladed fan. Going to order it next week. In the pic it doesn't look like it goes all the way around the fan, am I wrong..You wouldn't happen to have a pic of it?
Well my eyes aint as good as they used to but it was real close to 220, AND the engine started to try to shut down....so yes it was overheating:)

Mtgrizzlymn

Where are you guys getting the correct fan? My blades are flexible

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The stock 6/7 blade fans are flex fans. They just are not quite as flexy as the aftermarket ones. As was said a shround is a must that should solve most of your issue.
But back to the radiator has it ever been cleaned that you know of? It may help to get it professionally cleaned.
Next throw that 160 t stat in the trash its to cold and will do nothing but stay fully open all the time probably why the last one was stuck open. it could even be stuck again. A 195 or 180 is a better choice especailly in hot climates. More heat is transfered out of the coolant when its hotter than when its cooler. especailly when ambient air temps are high.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Thanks I have decided to get that one, that and a 6 bladed fan. Going to order it next week. In the pic it doesn't look like it goes all the way around the fan, am I wrong..You wouldn't happen to have a pic of it?
Well my eyes aint as good as they used to but it was real close to 220, AND the engine started to try to shut down....so yes it was overheating:)

The shroud goes all the way around the fan and it works well. The Bronco vendors have what you need ref a fan. I got mine at a pick and pull but this one is just like it. But mine's not a 19 incher.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Cl...Fairline-19-7-Blade-Cooling-Fan-/262343491880

Last edited: