• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Running rough

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
I swapped in an edelbrock 1405 recently and have started having problems with it running rich at idle and sometimes it idles high (2k rpm with the choke off, blip the throttle and it drops back down to 800)

Fuel pressure at the carb is 3.5 psi
Timed at 14° BTC
Spark Plugs gapped to .045
Distributor is a GM HEI with MSD Cap, rotor, coil and ignition module
Vacuum at idle is 16 in Hg

It sometimes breaks up under acceleration, but doesn't necessarily bog. Great throttle response, but the idle is hit or miss.

When its cold it runs so rich my eyes burn and there is visibly faint white smoke until it warms up. The smoke smells like fuel, not oil.

I talked to edelbrocks tech department and they told me to clean the air bleeds in the primary venturis as well as the idle mixture screws, which I did. Very little improvement . I plan to buy their calibration kit, but I want to get the idle straight first. I've capped off all of the vacuum lines (reconnected before driving) to search for vacuum leaks and have found nothing. I'm at a loss to get this thing running right again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
A vacuum leak wouldn't let it idle back down to 800 rpm though....unless the vacuum leak goes away when the engine heats up....

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Make sure your secondary throttle plates are closing all the way. If they are not, or stick open occasionally, it can suck air, or fuel in at idle thru the secondarys.