• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Salvage title value?

Monty17

I am new to the early Bronco scene but I'm ready to get myself a solid driver. I know that a salvage title will effect the valve of most vehicles but I'm wondering how much for an early Bronco? The ones that I am considering have been completely redone with new or rebuilt everything. Will the salvage title effect the value considerably 30 years down the road or if its strait and well maintained will it be similar to a vehicle with a clean title? Thanks for your guys in-site on this.

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
The way these trucks are trashed on a trail, probably not. Depends what you're wanting to build. As long as you don't intend to make a trailer queen, and the frame is straight, I don't see an issue or it wouldn't deter me, just take plenty of pictures before/after.

wepuckett

I would also recomend checking with your states DMV to see how they handle salvage titles and weather you can do with the bronco what you want to do with a salvage title. I would also say as long as your not looking to be a show quality bronco and everything with DMV checks out for what you want to do with it, should be ok just use it as a negotiating tactic to get price where you want it.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Welcome
If the vehicle is straight I dont think it wll hurt value much. Sometimes it takes very little damage to get a salavage title. To a person wanting a bronco but if your looking for returns then your better off with a clean title as to a collector they will want that unless it was a specail edition and they have to have it.. but even then theres no garantee that the bronco will be worth more in the future.
Even with clean title now you could get in a wreck in the next 30 years. In either case the bronco has to make it to that point.
On the flip side if you are considering a vehicle with a salavaged title. Make sure all the VIN numbers are correct ie body and frame numbers otherwise you could run into bigger issues down the road.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
The only thing I've read on here is the insurance companies don't/won't do comprehensive ins on a salvage title. If you're using it on the trails, who cares, but if you're doing a street machine, which I think you are, check with your insurance company to get their stand.

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
I buy and sell a LOT of daily drivers cars. In my region there is a certain minority of people that seem to exclusively deal in junk, and junk/salvage used cars w/ a branded title. Often times unsafe salvage cars that have been cobbled back together and then advertised on the market as a "good" used car to un-suspecting buyers. I can't stand these punks! The whole premise of thier business is to screw people. And, even though they are only a small percentage of car dealers doing this, everyone in the industry knows who they are...EXCEPT an un-educated general public buyer. Suffice to say these few rotten apples give the industry as a whole a black eye.

The overwhelming majority of Bronco buyers are reasonably knowledgable car people. They may [not] consider themselves a mechanic, but nontheless they're buying a 40 year old classic.....

Salvage/rebuilt title status on old classic cars doesn't really effect the value. The main reason is because people buying (and selling) old classic cars...know cars. People who KNOW cars place a value on the car based on the cars' merits, not what some piece of paper says. I can't tell you how many early "big block SS/RS 4-speed" Camaro's *really* has a VIN/Fisher tag that says the car left the factory as a 6 cylinder automatic car...and most people buying a 68' big block camaro" could really care less. They place value on the car as it appears NOW.

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
Mine is on a rebuilt title. In Texas to go from salvage to rebuilt you have to have rig inspected by the DMV and from what I've been told (never personally done it) they aren't gentle about their inspection.

So to me, a rebuilt title was almost like a certified pre-owned sticker LOL I've seen some cars and truck held together w/ bubble gum, HF booger welds, and rust that have clean titles still.

67RT

Bronco Guru
I personally would not consider a salvaged vehicle as it may represent a "totaled" situation, frame tweaking, etc.

rastiss

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wichita falls, Texas
If its a decent rig, who cares what the title says? On a classic vehicle it less of an issue except in the event of an insurance loss. They "generally" devalue a salvage titled vehicle about 20% on average.

67RT

Bronco Guru
Special inspection in MD. Only at central MVA. Insurance issues. No go.you have to consider your buyer pool that has these issues if u resell.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A salvage title will hurt value.

If doing a restoration it will hurt it a LOT. It could be tens of thousands off the value of a high end restoration.
If building a trail truck only a little.

Worried about value in 30 years? get a clean title.

OP
OP
M

Monty17

Thanks for all the in-site on this. Im looking at one that in Oregon and seems to be well done and in good shape. I think it would be going for easily 5 grand more if it was in Cali and a clean title. Im going to drive this every day so it's not going to be a show truck and I'm not building it up from a beater. I will check with the DMV for sure before I make any purchase. Thanks again!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Also check with your insurance. Higher rates for a salvage title can quickly eat up that money you saved by buying salvage. And selling later will also bring a lower value.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Like someone else said, if it's salvage and it's got the same frame be very careful. If you don't know how to inspect a frame get someone who does. If the frame is good and the price is right, personally I would have no problem buying a salvage title vehicle. Salvage means that the vehicle has been in a wreck that damaged it beyond repair (as far as insurance is concerned) which is generally more than just cosmetic, unless it was a roll-over or a side impact (and possible even then), then there is a high probability that it took some damage to the frame. Frames can be straightened, but they don't always go back to where they where before they bent.