• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

School me on Ford EFI for a Stroker

Jmjuhl

Contributor
Loc.
Cypress, Texas
Doing my best to learn at a high rate of speed here so bear with a bit of my ignorance. I have really warmed up to the idea of a 351W swap, or likely a 408 Stroker variant on my 74. Something like the ATK crate 351 or Blueprint 408 long block seems like a good starting point but I want fuel injection and have become intrigued with the ford efi conversions (mustang and Explorer).

Based on my current research, and assuming mustang FI, it seems I would need the following items to run factory FI:

89-93 5.0 harness and something like an A9L CPU
MAF sensor - thinking like 90mm range?
Throttle body - maybe 75mm?
Fuel rails
Fuel injectors - 24 or 30lb I'm guessing
TPI Distributor?
As well as something like the Lightning GT40 lower and GT40 upper - a mustang buddy of mine actually has a Lightning lower and a Cobra R upper manifold which both originated on the 351W...set them aside for a project that never happened so I'm likely buying them. Obviously will need tuning after

What am I missing? Am I on the right track? Would the Explorer EDIS be a better option?

fishinman78

Contributor
Edelbrock ProFlow 4.

We have pulled two ford systems off of 351w based strokers this last winter after years of trying to dial in tunes. Installed the ProFlow 4 on them and never looked back

We are running ProFlow 4 on the following 347,393,408, and 427 with zero issues.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have really warmed up to the idea of a 351W swap, or likely a 408 Stroker variant on my 74. Something like the ATK crate 351 or Blueprint 408 long block seems like a good starting point but I want fuel injection and have become intrigued with the ford efi conversions (mustang and Explorer).

Explorer all the way (between the factory stuff that is). Mustang is fine and dandy, but Exploder (if you get the entire engine) nets you not only the GT40 upper, but the Explorer accessory drive as well. Which is the best fit for a Bronco.

But since you've got someone with the lower for a 351 and the big upper already, then the rest of the Explorer stuff isn't a big benefit. But the EDIS is cool and works well. You just need to do more work on the harness, or get EFI Guy here to make you one. However that puts a big delay in things as he's pretty backed up these days it seems.
Check out his thread elsewhere and see what you think.

Otherwise if you use the non-Explorer stuff, you can buy brand new harnesses without waiting (we usually have them on the shelf, but I have not checked recently) and all you need is an appropriate TFI distributor.

89-93 5.0 harness and something like an A9L CPU

Harder and harder to find the computers at a reasonable price and in reasonable condition, but they're still out there. So not a deal breaker.
But there are aftermarket ECM's as well now, where there was not that option previously.

MAF sensor - thinking like 90mm range?
Throttle body - maybe 75mm?

The Explorer had pretty decent sized holes if I remember. I think they were all 90° though, so maybe not the easiest choice for under the hood of a Bronco. Works though, with a bit of tweaking.
Don't remember the best size combinations that members have used. Not sure how big of a mismatch you can do before you run into tunability issues.

Not sure what the Cobra R height is. Have you checked and compared to the Explorer upper? And is it the same "GT40" style with round offset ports like the Lightning? If so that would be way cool as long as it fits under the hood.
No matter what, a 1" body lift is a big help. Might need more for the Cobra R, or a higher hood. But since Mustang's have always had relatively low hoods too, maybe they're compatible and I'm just a worry wart!

Fuel injectors - 24 or 30lb I'm guessing

Seems like 24's can handle a fair amount of HP, but not sure how much. Is there anything between 24 and 30?

TPI Distributor?

TFI (thin film inductive) rather than TPI (tuned port injection) in our cases.

Ford pickups had 351's but not many other Ford models that I know of. Might even be able to take advantage of the remote-mounted TFI modules that some vehicles had. Keeps them cooler over on the fender mounted to a heat-sink than directly on top of the engine.
Mechanical cooling fan probably helps that, but an electric fan that's mostly off won't keep the modules as cool.

As well as something like the Lightning GT40 lower and GT40 upper - a mustang buddy of mine actually has a Lightning lower and a Cobra R upper manifold which both originated on the 351W...set them aside for a project that never happened so I'm likely buying them.

Cool score for sure. A Lightning upper would be cool too if you stumble across one. Still curious as to the R's height and bulk.
Is this one of the early R's with the 5.8 and where the upper looks to be a hand-fabricated aluminum affair? Or is it the more standard cast model with the different shape?

Obviously will need tuning after

I think that's the key. But I can't refute what fishinman said. And the Proflow is definitely a cool setup. Just not what you have your hands on already.

What am I missing? Am I on the right track? Would the Explorer EDIS be a better option?

I think so. I have one and love it, but mine's a bone stock Explorer 302 so is no comparison to what you're contemplating. But I think the only non-stock part you need to finagle your way around is the cam sensor since Ford only used them in 302's and 3.8's and I think you need to source the V6 3.8 version if I'm not mistaken. Been done a few times here with good results.

Obviously I'm just jabberin' about initially. Don't have the direct experience that you need to hear from. I think others have had great luck with the setup, but obviously by the previous comments not all have worked out.
One key to the aftermarket stuff is the tunability by the owner and not needing (necessarily) to use a pro with a dyno and lots of Ford experience mixing and matching parts.

Best of luck!

Paul

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had a 408 with Lightning lower and explorer upper, 60# injectors, 75 mm TB and tune by EFI Guy. Ran great but probably left some power on the table due to intake restriction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sticknstring

I too, built a 331 stroker. I used a 5.0 roller block from an 88 Cougar. A relatively mild comp cam, headers, gt40 heads and 10.0 compression. I used an Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 system for a number of reasons. Primarily the user friendly tuning and for its completeness.I have been very happy with the end result.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I spent the last year installing a Blueprint 408 at a glacial pace. Comp Cams 35-775-8 cam (their choice).

Trick Flow R upper (90mm) and lower intake, Accufab 75mm throttle body, Lightning 90mm MAF, running Ford EDIS via a Ford A9L ECU backed up by a Moates Quarterhorse that will eventually get replaced by a dedicated static RAM chip. BCB 1.625" primary tube headers.

Garry Vance, the EFI Guy is helping me with the tune. It didn't take long to get it close. It. Just. Runs.

This engine replaced a mildly modified Explorer 5.0. The in-town drivability is better than the 5.0 ever was. Above 2000 rpm the difference gets very entertaining.

Once it gets in the power band it's seriously entertaining. I'd never go back. As a bonus, at 55-ish cruise it's still managing around 15 mpg. What's not to like?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I like the Rochester QJet. Very comfortable to know that I can troubleshoot any issues when out on the coast. I'd be stuck if I had problems EFI related with no local support..