• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

sealing the dana 20 shims

Big Slim

i use a good coat of permetex spray-a-gasket on each side of each shim of the shim pack when i rebuilt it and oil is slowly seeping thru. even has a redish tint. since this didnt work, whats the best way to seal these?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you checked the bolt torque as well?
Maybe they are loosening up with the cushion of the extra layer in there.

I don’t think you’re supposed to use anything that builds up depth, so like viper was saying just a thin coat of something, perhaps going on as a thinner liquid first (which might be what he’s talking about) or a thin layer of spray on seal.

Why is it red? Is there a red tint to your chosen lubricant?
What are you using as a lubricant?
What is the sealer red by any chance? If so maybe it’s liquefying in the oil and dripping out.
Not meant for direct contact with oils maybe.

OP
OP
Big Slim

Big Slim

the spray-a-gasket is red, so leak is pulling some of that tint or gasket out of the spray. i have mobil1 75-90 oil. i went with this one to keep buildup to a minimum. i can check torque again.
i went looking for the novak cover plate that used oring and shims inside but doesn't appear to be on market anymore.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like you made all the right moves then. Maybe that particular spray gasket was not compatible with gear lubes?
Sorry to hear you have a leak after working on it. Or no matter what the circumstances!

Paul

Mark1911

You have to put thread sealer on the clean bolt threads as well, the bolts are NOT in a blind hole, they go clear through to the oil side, the oil finds its way down the threads and causes a leak.
Agaso Outdoor in conjunction with Novak builds a kit for most of this Dana 20 issue.

Mark

OP
OP
Big Slim

Big Slim

i believe that the shims are inside so it would eliminate sealing the stock shim pack.
i picked up some of the Permatex Aviation form-A-Gasket Sealant 80017 and will try that. emailed permetex and they did recomend this one. if not then ill pick up one of these agaso kits.

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
Don’t forget thread sealer on the bolts. Some of the bolt holes go all the way through the case.