• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Seat Belts with Corbeau Baja SS Seats

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Guys,

There was a post in the chat section in March about an accident involving a Bronco. There was quite a bit of discussion about seat belt use.

We have Baja SS seats in our '71. We always use lap belts. I know we should... but, we don't use the shoulder belts, and the anti-submarine belts were never installed by the previous owner.

A couple of years ago I bought 3-point belts from Corbeau. In Moab last year I made arrangements to have the belts installed. (I thought it would be good to have someone experienced do this.)

The problem was with the portion of the belt system that attaches to inside (with the buckle). The bolster on the SS seat is pretty tight. I was told that the right way to do the install would be to install that part of the belt on the inside of the bolster; but, I was also told that it would really be uncomfortable. Then I was told that if it was installed on the outside of the bolster the belt system wouldn't hold the occupant in the seat. There doesn't seem to be a good choice for using 3-point belts with the high bolster type seats, unless I am missing something.

Does anyone have any recommendations, or other input they'd like to offer? Short of other options I suppose it boils down to either replacing the seats or always using the 5-point system.

Thanks,

Jeff

nickgp

Bronco Guru
The belts need to go thru the slot in the seat. It is easier to feed the mounting plate thru the slot than the latch assemblies.

SeanT4x4

I have the same seats and have never heard this. My belt is on the outside of the bolster because it does dig into your side if you run it through. No passenger cars or trucks have a bolster to keep you in the seat so I don't see why it wouldn't. Maybe im missing something.