• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Selling bumpers con't...how thick of steel?

Mike Hewett

I have posted a few threads about making some bumpers and selling them for some extra cash. Well I went out and bought a Hobart 175 and it works great, very nice welds. How thick would you guys want your plate steel bumpers to be? I am thinking about 1/4" or 3/16". Remember I am trying to make a good loooking, tough bumper but I am not sure yet if I want to make one for the hardcore offroader. I like trail riding, but I don't beat the sh#t out of my truck, it is just to nice. I thought a bumper for the mild/moderate off-roader would be good. Let me know/

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
1/4" thick is better - That's what mine is and what I think other "stout" plate bumpers are.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
I say 3/16 I believe thats what protofabs new plate bumpers are but I could be wrong.

weps

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Switzerland
is there a "standard" or optimum thinkness for strength and weight? i haven't done the math, but if i were going to buy a set of bumpers from someone, i'd expect that someone involved with production had. i don't want something so beefy that i need to worry about the load rating of my tires, but i want something strong enough to protect me and the bronco.

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
My front is 3/16" and rear is 1/4" - I've beat both pretty good and neither show any signs of damage; however the rear is noticeably heavier. If I was to do it again I'd make both from 3/16"

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
There's quite a bit of 1/4" plate on mine, it's about 100 pounds. I don't think anyone should worry about a 100 pound bumper affecting the load rating of tires. If you have a stocker - I'm not sure, but I think you'd be ok. I've seen 3/16" bend too easily. That's my humble opinion. Of course I don't know the engineering of the proposed bumper, maybe it's excellent engineering and 3/16" for a mild offroader is ok.
Kens71 (BroncoSouth) of the list here made it. Here's a pic of mine

Attachments

• frontbmpr1.jpg
    frontbmpr1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 104

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I think it depends on the design of the bumper and the area of the bumper you're talking about. If the design uses wide expanses of flat plate, with no bends and no bracing behind, and it is the "rock" side of the bumper, it will need to be thicker. More bends with smaller expanses between bends and bracing will not require as thick of metal. My rocker rails are made out of 1x3 .120 wall rectangular tubing. That's pretty thin by some standards but the smaller widths between bends strengthens it considerably. I've beat the crap out of them with no denting or bending yet. When I built my rear bumper I started with a piece of 2x6 .120 rectangular tubing. But I used 1/4" plate on the lower surfaces that go longer distances without internal bracing, and which are on the bottom and more likely to see granite. It too has performed flawlessly and taken a lot of major hits. Building the whole thing out of 1/4 in my opinion is a waste of weight capacity on your Bronco.

Dusty

OP
OP
M

Mike Hewett

I was actually thinking 3/16" steel myself. I think I will have enough internal bracing to make it plenty strong, as long as you are not BOUNCING it off rocks!

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas
Both front and rear on mine are Hanson's and both are made out of 1/4 plate. Well the push bar is .020. I guess it all depends on the design like Dusty stated.

Here’s the chance to pimp one of our members Hanson's

Attachments

• Hanson front bumper.jpeg
    Hanson front bumper.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 84

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
That is one Bad-Azz bumper! I really would like one of those, but with shipping and the options/cost combined, its really pricey...but as all things. You end up with what you put out. Mike- How does your design relate to the Hanson bumper; inquiring minds want to know?

PPiazza

Loc.
Newark California
77TexasBronc said:
Both front and rear on mine are Hanson's and both are made out of 1/4 plate.

I did the same and love the bumpers very strong and well made. Dont have a pic yet but they are awsome. Lots of bracing and extremely well put together. here is the one I went with http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8102

My decision for both Front and Rear came down to three factors. 1. Price 2. Quality 3. Looks I looked at a bunch of different bumpers what pushed me to Hansons was 2 and 3. I knew of his reputation through many of my Jeep Friends and he builds quality and they look awsome. He is a tad bit more expansive but that was all equal when you consider I did not have any shipping just simply drove to his shop. Not to mention he is a cool guy.

PP

svens70

Loc.
Oregon, IL
I made my rear bumper with 2x4x3/16 tubing on top with 8 gage sheet metal as the lower sides. I landed pretty hard on the edge of the sheet metal in Moab a few times, and didn't even pucker it.

8 gage is .164 thick compared to .188 for 3/16. The main reason I went with 8 gage is that we have some at work that's old stock, not used in any current products, and I can buy it for a fraction of what I can get 3/16 or 1/4 for since steel prices have gone through the roof.

I plan on making my front bumper completely out of the 8 gage, except for a 1/2" winch plate between the frame mounts.

Unless your into serious rock bashing, 3/16 is the heaviest you will need. Don't forget the heavier steel you use, the more it's going to cost, and it will cost 3-4 times what it would have 18 months ago.

Here's a pic of my rear bumper:
Bumper.jpg

(Forgive the lack of finish and paint.)