• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Seperating Auto Tran from Engine

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
I am about to pull my engine which is attached to a Auto (4rw70). I've pulled a couple of engines from a standard tranny but never from an auto.

Is there anything I need to be aware of in regards to the troque converter or anything?

I have everything disconnected and ready to go. All I have to do is remove the 6 bolts holding the engine to the tranny and then the motor mounts.

Do I need to drain the tranny first? I am not removing the tranny from the vehicle, just the engine.

Appreciate the info

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
You need to unbolt the torque converter from the flywheel. 4 nuts accessed through the small cover at the bottom of block plate or through the starter hole.

Also unhook the vacuum hose to modulator and the kick down linkage from carb.

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Thank you ford guy. I did remove that cover but wasn't sure what I was looking it. I will unbolt the TC.

There is no kick down since this was all electric controlled.

Any other tips?

kc15842

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, Ca
Try to keep the torque convertor pushed into the trans. What ever you can do to keep the nose of the trans elevated to prevent trans fluid from leaking out the front seal or the back of the torque convertor. It can be messy. I'm guessing the back end is still bolted to the TC?

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Yes, the tranny is still connected to the TC and driveshaft etc etc. It's also still on the cross member and I am not planning to remove the tranny. Just putting in a new engine.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
No kickdown or vac line on 4R70W. You might want to support the trans with something underneath to prevent any binding between the flexplate/converter and bellhousing/engine.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Unbolt the torque converter and leave it in the transmission if you can lower it while keeping it level.

I used a snowmobile hoist to easily remove and re-install the transmission - didn't break a sweat. Installed and had the torque converter bolted up in under 15 minutes.

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
run a strap under the front of the tranny and secure it to the frame. This will keep the tranny falling forward and leaking. Get the 4 bolts undone from the Torque converter to the flywheel. Thats's about it on the 4r70w. Just remember that when you put the new motor in that the torque converter is all the way on the input shaft so you don't burn up your pump. Spin it a couple of times around and push at the same time to make sure it has stayed seated.

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
How do you drain the torque convertor if I decide to do so?

u10072

Bronco Guru
Just a thought-- theres a pretty good chance you will need to loosen up the trans to get everything lined up. All I would recommend is if it doesnt go back fairly quickly just bite the bullet and loosen up the trans. A basic ratchet strap under the bellhousing is a good idea-- dont forget those cheap straps are a great tool that you forget and when you use them are a life-saver. Just figure on making some kind of a mess from antifreeze to a trans leak-- get yourself some cheapo kitty litter and have a drain pan on hand. Getting the TC drained is almost a hopeless effort sometimes.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
How do you drain the torque convertor if I decide to do so?

There should be a drain plug on the front that can be accessed through the cover like the nuts. Might have to spin the motor around to find it.

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Thanks for the tips. Hopefully I will get some garage time tonight to do this.