• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shock jock question.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I have not had my Bronco complete since I bought it. It was a wreck from day one and I have been slaving away to get it done. I got done blasting my frame and painted it and reinstalled the springs and axles. I have a WH 3.5" lift with single bilsteins on each corner shock jock rear and F-250 front mounts.
My questions are which position is better for a single rear shock on the shock jock (front hole or rear) and where is the best place for the lower mount? Should I wait until I get it all back together (cage, top, 23 gallon tank, and custom rear bumper with tire carrier that isn't even made yet) before I install the lower mount on the axle?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated and as always Thanks in advance!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you're even remotely thinking of rear disc brakes too, then wait until those are installed before fully welding the lower shock mounts.
You can still tack weld them, which makes them less of a bear to change, but just be sure that the other rear end stuff is complete before addressing the shocks.

Sorry can't help with the "best" position question, but I'll see if there is a preference when I get to work tomorrow. I'm thinking it's more personal preference than a necessarily better spot, but you never know.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, might not matter at all, or it might make a slight difference depending on where you place your lower mounts AND how sensitive you are to changes.
In other words, even if there is a difference based on location, it's very subtle.

The one with less angle is the one with more effect, which his sometimes the one that's closer to the rear axle housing. But if you move it's lower mount up and farther over, the angle of the shock now negates that difference.
So "user choice" is probably the game of the day here.

Different scenario slightly in the front, when using shock hoops. But since you're using the extended F250 mounts, which mount straight up and virtually in the same place as the stock shock, this does not apply to you.

Hope that helps

Paul

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks Paul,
I appreciate the info. I will wait till I get the body done and back on the frame before I decide. I guess if I don't like the angle I can move it to the other hole on top.
Thanks again, have a good one!