• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

shock jock vs. rear inboard shock mount?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
depends how wide your axle is. I know Kyle's is 67" wms to wms with 4.25" of back spacing on the wheels. his don't rub. Mine on the other hand do and I'm only 1-1/2" narrower. I'd rather run the stock shock mounts and lower the mount on the axle by the tire than run either of the aftermarket options given by the OP, not bashing just giving my honest opinion. Flex looks cool, but axle control is where its at. The trick becomes getting a shock that isn't too long or too short with valving that your happy with. There is a huge faction of people that are saying you have to have 15" of wheel travel to have a rig that works, not so. Most leaf springs are only compressing and extending between 8-10" and if your shock is within that your usually good to go.

My personal custom coil set ups are only using 10" of shock and is just a trail plug that is usually at the top of the trail parked and waiting.;)

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
My personal custom coil set ups are only using 10" of shock and is just a trail plug that is usually at the top of the trail parked and waiting.;)

^^^^^^^^ Agree you are usually coming down to spot me!:-X

Mine do clear but like Yeller said, but I am full width.

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
ok, heres a question. if the inboard mounts do allow more travel is it really that much?

my old bronco had them when i redid the susp. it did have ALOT of body roll but i got used to it and it didnt bother me that bad.(that is with the top off, with the top on it really was unbearable)

however my new eb prolly wont see any rock crawling trails but i have the same spring that were on the other one. i could def live without the roll but i dont want to handicap the rig. i dont want to cut into the fenderwells so i guess the stock mt is what ill use. unless the inboard really does travel that much more.

i have the body off now so if i need to go inboard now is the time to do it.

thanks for the guidance guys!

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
I'm hoping my set-up will work well for both. Cross Ent. inboard mounts, Bilstein 7100's valved at 255/70 and the Helwig quick disconnect sway bar to control roll on the street. I'm a year or so from driving it so I can't yet tell you how it works.

The front has long arms, 7100's and the Helwig as well.

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
I had long arms on my first one. does that contribute to body roll? on this one im going with a wristed axle housing and stock arms. my first did ride good except for the body roll, I hope I get as good of a ride out of this one.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Old guy here... Many of us ran inboard shocks before any Bronco house offered a kit. Bunch of us built inboard mounts and increased articulation...a bunch!

All of a sudden our Broncos developed body roll... we put up with it because we had this new thing...suspension travel. Coil overs were so $$$ back then-no competition.

There's some good charts out there showing travel vrs angle vrs shock efficiency. It's amazing how much shock movement you lose when laying them forward and inward.

WH sold a kit that utilizes near vertical outboard shock location/movement. Very effective but you lose rear seat/legroom space.

Next evolution was leaning dual shocks waaay forward and mounting them outboard. Works OK. They are more effective only because they were outboard...being able to respond to more axle movement because obviously the ends of the axle move up and down more than the center of the axle when bouncing around off road, dropping into pot holes on one side or over bumps/rocks.

Years ago I reverted back to outboard shocks, lowered the axle mount below the housing (yet still in the tire track path) and moved them extremely close to the bearing flange. The upper mount leans forward a minimal amount and allows use of a single shock with a remote reservoir for maximum shock travel on a short bodied shock. Custom valved to compensate for the slight angle mount.

I am stock Bronco width, 3 1/2" springs running 37" rubber.

Good luck, go outboard mount, sway bar and you'll really like the ride.