• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

shocking advice.

sizzle-chest

Loc.
Hogsweat, Oregon
hey, i took my bronco into a tire store cuz the front end was making these weird noises. the guy told me that the shock wasn't broken, but it wasn't working (whatever that means). he said it was too old, and wasn't giving support anymore. He wanted to charge me 250$ to replace both shocks. When i told him i didn't have the money, and even if i did I wouldn't pay it, he said that I would need a spring compressor if I wanted to do it myself. I need to replace the shocks, but I don't want to pay. Can anyone give me some tips on how to do this right? Is this true I need some compressor, or am I being fed some hot bolony? oh ya, its a 71 bronco, front end.

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
That's incorrect....a spring compressor is not required to change your shocks....

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
hot balogna! you don't need a compressor for shocks, he was just trying to make a buck. he probably would have put $10.00 a piece shocks on.

you have a bolt on the bottom that takes two 3/4" wrenches, and a nut on top that should be a 9/16". only thing that may give you trouble is the top stud may turn while you're loosening the nut. on the very top there are 2 flat sides, put a wrench on it. get some good quality shocks and replace the same way they come off.

i hate peolpe like that, gives good mechanics a bad name!

where do you live?

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
Could he have been talking about springs or springs and shocks. If not he was trying to rip you off.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
sizzle-chest said:
if he said springs, would I need a spring compressor then? there's a chance he did, i'm not sure.

nope - maybe he would, but it is not needed.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If he is thinking new springs, then it might be possible that you might need a spring compressor to compress the spring so that it can be easily removed and re-installed. Personnally...I have never had a problem getting the old springs out and the new ones back in so I have never had to use one. If the frame is put in jack stands and the housing is lowered all the way...usually the springs can be removed, depending on the size springs. Mine are 3.5 and I didn't have to use one. Let us know more if you can. Either way..I'd do it yourself whether it needs shocks or/ and springs. Both are pretty easy to change.

Blue71

OP
OP
S

sizzle-chest

Loc.
Hogsweat, Oregon
okay, is there a way to post pictures???? Alls I knows is that its making a noise and I don't have a fancy compressor. either way, I'm doing it, and if a spring shoots through my chest and kills me, it'll be all yours faults for making fun instead of giving me proper advice.

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
You don't have to have a spring compressor, but it helps and you can rent or borrow then from places like Autozone. Some people use them and others don't, he may have been someone who did.

Dang :eek:

"and if a spring shoots through my chest and kills me, it'll be all yours faults for making fun instead of giving me proper advice"

Here is a link to the spring compressor controversy, kind of.

http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58113&highlight=spring+compressor

Last edited:

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
He probably thought a spring compressor was needed to change the springs. When the frontend is hanging it literally hangs down on the springs and stretches them. I.E. You can jack it up enough to release the tension, pull the bolts, and then raise it off the spring. You have more chances of shooting a spring out when using a spring compressor. FWIW, we never touched a spring compressor for any Ford springs when I was working in a 4WD shop.

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
sizzle-chest said:
can someone tell me how to post pictures of my bronco?

There are several ways outlined here
http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27815

But the easiest way is to become a contributor
http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34373

You really probably don't need a spring compressor and if you measure from your front axle to the frame, the amount over seven inches is how much lift you have, if any. Stock is seven inches and a three inch lift would be ten and so forth. If you need springs you will need to know if they are stock or providing lift. You can search here for who makes the best and that is pretty controversial, but you can get them from any of the sponsoring vendors here.

Does the front bounce when you push down on the hood or is there any other symptom other than the noise, and is that noise a squeaking sound or what.

OP
OP
S

sizzle-chest

Loc.
Hogsweat, Oregon
ya, besides the noise, which sounds like a gorilla in heat, it bounces really easy, as if there is no resistance at all. let me ask you this, is there more tension on the spring while its compressed or when its hanging. In other words, should i loosen the bolts with the spring is squished or droopy?