• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shocking Ideas

tmann166

I am looking at getting some new shocks. I currently have Superlift shocks and have had them for about a year and quarter and would like something a little softer on road. Thinking Monroe or maybe Rancho. Any thoughts or experiences.
Thanks guys.
Tyler

craigaria

Loc.
Monroe, GA
I have cage shocks and they ride really nice. I haven't had them off road yet but I've heard they do well. On road they do great!

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Some people have had good things to say about the Rancho 9000s, but I will say that the Rancho 5000s are pretty firm shocks. Bilsteins on F250 mounts are a great choice and a decent value if you can find the shocks on sale...always heard positive things. If you dont want to spend the $$, check into the Duff or Cage shocks...they are both about the same $, you could also go ahead and put the F250 mounts on with either of them. I went with the Cage shocks but I cant speak for them yet as they are not installed. But all reports have been good. Dont go rancho 5000.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Here is a link that may help of an ongoing review I did of the Cage shocks. In my opinion they are far better than the Rancho's, Duff's and Doetch Techs. (I've had all 3 on mine and they all seemed to ride about the same which didn't impress me at all) The Bilsteins come highly suggested as well (I have no personal eperience with them) although the cost will be about double (or even more) that of the Cage shocks.

Here is the link:
http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65002

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Get adjustable. I have pro-comps on the front (do not mount upside down) and Rancho 9000's on the rear. I get a pretty decent ride and I don't change them off-road because I liet the tires soak up the remaining bumps.

The reason I say not to mount pro-comps upside down is that is the only reason we can figure a set on my cousin's Jeep quit working.

J.D.

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
Rancho 5000 Experience

As mentioned above, Rancho 5000s are very stiff shocks. Probably not the best thing if you're looking for a softer ride on the streets. I can't speak for the Rancho 9000s, but plenty of guys here run them.

RT

Bronco Guru
Tyler, are your springs stiff too ?? Try takeing a short , slow drive on a bumpy road with out the shocks on and get a feel for how stiff the springs alone are.Shocks alone may not be enough.

If your ride feels fairly smooth and your budget allows it , go with a rebuildable monotube shock. If the rebound or compression valving aren't to your likeing they can be changed.

This is a little more involved (expensive) , but the results will be worth it.

I've used a few different shocks , at present the 9,000's and have not been really happy with any. The adjustable one's like Ranchos adjust the rebound and compression at the same time. If I turn up the 9,000's to get enough rebound , the compression is so high it rides like a go cart. I turn them down to run smooth and I get a lot of bounce..

The key is to be able to tune them to your own rigs weight and spring rate.
A triple bypass setup is on my own wishlist ,but a little out of my reach :eek:

Good luck Tyler. :)

Last edited: