• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shocking??

beerad

Loc.
rochester mn
looking to replace the shocks of my CAGE long arm.... procomp has a prorunner at a fair price on 4wheelparts any thoughts?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Bilstein or RS 9000.

I have seen the photos of your eb. It is "sick". Why skimp on shocks?

OP
OP
beerad

beerad

Loc.
rochester mn
Bilstein or RS 9000.

I have seen the photos of your eb. It is "sick". Why skimp on shocks?

I have not used procomps so looking for feedback on them....and gather they are a quality reflected by price type product!...thanks for the feedback!

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Sounds like the boys have decided you should use Bilsteins.

Now you have to decide on external reservoir or not lol.

OP
OP
beerad

beerad

Loc.
rochester mn
just looked into some rough country 2.0....only shock out there with a lifetime warrantee ... 40 a pop...great reviews......any one running them?

70_Steve

Old Guy
40 a pop...great reviews......
Sorry. A great $40 shock is still a $40 shock. You get what you pay for.

Go with either Bilstein 7100s or Rancho 9000XL remote reservoir.

Last edited:

carter2772

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
I dont really care for the warrenty when i comes to shocks... Hell, shucks auto supply used to have lifetime warrenty u joints that went out all the time! Still had to change them out even though they were warrentied..

I am going to be buying some shock soon too. I was leaning bilstien, but I am curious what others say.

u10072

Bronco Guru
www.f-o-a.com comparing these to ranchos for the price-- like paying for a focus and getting a mustang. Used a set if 2.5" units on a 78 bronco and they are perfect!

Last edited:

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
Why not solve the problem and get yourself a set of Bilsteins..and be done with it. A 40.dollar shock is just that.....a throw away.....bilsteins last a long time...Rancho9000..Are not bad they do adjust....bilsteins...ride nice....

chris

No more Rock Crawler
Same here Bilsteins or Rancho 9000 shocks.. The reservoir version Bilsteins are nice but you will have to do a little research to figure out what valve version to use. Best bet there is to call a dealer and talk to them.

The Ranchos give you to adjustment via a valve adjustment knob on the shock. I like these shocks the best as they work well and when I destroy one on the rocks is not as expensive as the Holstein. %)

You are going to need to get some adjustments in order to get the right shock. Remove the old shocks and lift up the front or rear of the truck so the wheels come up off the ground. Measure that distance between the shock mounting eyes and you will need to pick out a shock a little longer than that. Make sure to measure the at rest position of the suspension as well and figure in how much further the suspension will compress before it hits the stop bushings on the frame and add a little to that measurement as well so you don't bottom out the shock. You will need these measurements before you can start looking at part numbers.

We can't give you these numbers off hand as every Bronco is different. Good luck.

OP
OP
beerad

beerad

Loc.
rochester mn
Why not solve the problem and get yourself a set of Bilsteins..and be done with it. A 40.dollar shock is just that.....a throw away.....bilsteins last a long time...Rancho9000..Are not bad they do adjust....bilsteins...ride nice....

But I need ...8...that's 1000-1200...yikes!:-[

70_Steve

Old Guy
But I need ...8...that's 1000-1200...yikes!:-[
What type driving will you be doing with this Bronco?

For the most part dual shocks are old school. Shock technology has advanced quite a bit in the last several years. The performance you could only achieve 15-20 years ago with dual shocks is available today in a single shock. I suspect you only "need" one shock per corner.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
What type driving will you be doing with this Bronco?

For the most part dual shocks are old school. Shock technology has advanced quite a bit in the last several years. The performance you could only achieve 15-20 years ago with dual shocks is available today in a single shock. I suspect you only "need" one shock per corner.

True, true,true,

Duals are old school.....but they still look cool haha.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Duals are old school.....but they still look cool haha.
Yeah, was gonna add a comment about just looking cool. If that's the intent, then why bother asking whether the shocks are any good? I'm sure there's some chrome plated shocks that can be had for just about the same price. :-X;)

Personally, I think a single shock with the reservoir mounted to the hoop looks cooler than dual shocks. (Umm... guess what I run...;D)