• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sitting at the computer all day making parts lists.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I have a new build that I am starting work on. I got 15 years of bronco parts packed away. The frame build up will not be too costly, but this body is rough. I have made an extensive list of body parts. Then I made up "wish lists" on 2 different vender web sites. Now it has been a while since I built another bronco, and I have to say I was a bit out of touch with what this would cost. Also the amount of "out of stock" parts is leaving me wondering when will I even be able to get everything? One site was $ 7020.00 and the other was $ 8142.00. Shocking because I was thinking around 5K when I started. I am a little out of touch I guess. So add in all the labor = time from my life and you got to wonder if I should just buy a body? It would get done 6 months sooner. I have gone to several sites looking at built body options. All of them are "Out of stock". I guess that makes sense and I suppose the wait on a body is at least 6 months. Perhaps I will talk to Corey and see what a fiberglass tub will cost and the wait time. Building a bit of a go fast, fun to drive bronco. Standard 5 speed, with a 351 based stroker motor.
well thats what I have done today.
Bax

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
If those prices didn't include shipping, make sure you're sitting down when get that added to the cost lol.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
If those prices didn't include shipping, make sure you're sitting down when get that added to the cost lol.
Yes. I ordered a few things last week. That shipping hurts too. Thanks Brandon

helo-mech

Yes. I ordered a few things last week. That shipping hurts too. Thanks Brandon

Take a look at the closest Bronco event and see if they are offering free 'pick-up' at the event. I was able to avoid the shipping on a Wild Horse full family cage and another 3 boxes of stuff by having them bring it to Super Cel in TN. The entire family and I spent a week in a NICE cabin up in the mountains for the 4 days for almost what it would have cost to ship. Called the wife and asked whether she wanted me to spend the money on shipping or a trip; she has never supported a Bronco purchase more than that stay up in the mountains.

I am in the middle of trying to decide whether to drop mine off at a shop with 50% down and wait the 1.5 years for them to complete it, or fill my shopping carts with our vendors and tackle it myself. I have a work list/quote from the shop. I am getting to the age where being able to just pick it up 'Turn Key' is getting more and more attractive every day. My parts list NEVER seems to stop growing.

fluffybunny

Contributor
I'm surprised if you cam find everything from just 2 vendors. I've been working on mine for 9 months and have ordered parts from Wild Horses, Bronco Graveyard, Tom's, Dennis Carpenter, Northeast Classics, LMC, Summit Racing, and probably more that don't come to mind at this moment, I've also had good luck finding used parts off of the parts forum and Facebook Marketplace. When I started, I thought a budget of 10k would do - I was wrong. Good Luck on your build.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Thanks Fluffy, I did not find all the parts from just 2 venders. Not even close. The two I looked at left me missing about half of what I was needing. I envision myself having a master list and checking parts off as I find them. On the hunt I guess. Luck would be a great thing. Thanks

brewchief

Regarding shipping, this spring I was talking to the owner of a major bronco parts supplier and he mentioned that with the increased cost of container shipping one had to think about what they purchased from overseas. Certain body parts take up far more room then others so there is much more cost to get it to them then it used to. Truck freight to get it from the port to them is also much higher so it's driving the overall price up.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Regarding shipping, this spring I was talking to the owner of a major bronco parts supplier and he mentioned that with the increased cost of container shipping one had to think about what they purchased from overseas. Certain body parts take up far more room then others so there is much more cost to get it to them then it used to. Truck freight to get it from the port to them is also much higher so it's driving the overall price up.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Yes I heard the story on the container cost and the domestic trucking cost sucks but it is expected with the current state of "leadership"in this country

madkins1868

Thanks Fluffy, I did not find all the parts from just 2 venders. Not even close. The two I looked at left me missing about half of what I was needing. I envision myself having a master list and checking parts off as I find them. On the hunt I guess. Luck would be a great thing. Thanks
You ever put together that master parts list? I'm thinking about starting my own project and trying to compile a list myself - and then decide about buying a rolling chassis or tub rather than do the whole thing myself. Just trying to cost it out.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I have a new build that I am starting work on. I got 15 years of bronco parts packed away. The frame build up will not be too costly, but this body is rough. I have made an extensive list of body parts. Then I made up "wish lists" on 2 different vender web sites. Now it has been a while since I built another bronco, and I have to say I was a bit out of touch with what this would cost. Also the amount of "out of stock" parts is leaving me wondering when will I even be able to get everything? One site was $ 7020.00 and the other was $ 8142.00. Shocking because I was thinking around 5K when I started. I am a little out of touch I guess. So add in all the labor = time from my life and you got to wonder if I should just buy a body? It would get done 6 months sooner. I have gone to several sites looking at built body options. All of them are "Out of stock". I guess that makes sense and I suppose the wait on a body is at least 6 months. Perhaps I will talk to Corey and see what a fiberglass tub will cost and the wait time. Building a bit of a go fast, fun to drive bronco. Standard 5 speed, with a 351 based stroker motor.
Bax
Bax, I have seen several metal tubs/bodies for sale online in the various bronco facebook forums. Might be able to find a "used" new bronco body that way?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Bax

Good job.. wish I was retired like you :)

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Bax, I have seen several metal tubs/bodies for sale online in the various bronco facebook forums. Might be able to find a "used" new bronco body that way?
I would be interested. I keep looking.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Rolling frame is about ready. I got the rear all finished. 4.56/detroit/31 spline/ disks. Dana 44 is done. built a HP for it. power lock traction device. Crome molly axles. all new disk brake with f150 knuckles. Ax15 is on the table. dana 20 has been completely rebuilt. Motor is staying 302. Rebuilding it. New Rings, bearings, cam kit H.R. new roller timing set. Heads are getting a valve job. So almost a roller. No steering stuff yet. Dont know if I will go TRO. Swiss cheese body will be soon.