• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Skid Plate for NWMP 12 gallon front tank?

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
Occasionally the front tank on my Bronco has been used as a rock/tree slider, so it is time to make or purchase a skid plate for it. Since I drive my Bronco on very long trips I want to keep the front 12 gallon gas tank as I have used every bit of the 35 gallon total capacity of both tanks many times before.

So.........since I do have a welder I am thinking of making a skid plate for the tank. My welding skills are not great, but being a musician I do understand the value of practice! My thoughts are to make a separate skid plate that would bolt to the angle iron mounting plate of the tank (front and back). Or, would it be better to weld a plate to the bottom of the tank, and what thickness do you guys recommend that the skid plate be (1/8" or 3/16"). Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Z Bronco

photo-3.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo.jpg