• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

smoke and fire damage

grant_71

Bronco Guru
What kind of damage do you think i would do if i sprayed simple green on the painted dash and hosed it of with the instrument cluster still in the dash?

I would remove the instrument cluster before hosing, and you will prolly want to pull yer dash apart anyhow to make sure no wires got toast, you never know, if you can just start hosing and scrubbing and using lots of water, then blow anything out with compressed air you shouldn't have too much to worry about. The switches are pretty simple, heck they sold these things with no tops from the factory, i think as long as you dont let water sit for any length of time you will be ok.

OP
OP
LTL4life

LTL4life

Loc.
The FROZEN TURDRA
I would like to thank everyone for their help and info. i contacted the people from SIMPLE GREEN and they recommended the original green formula diluted 10:1 sprayed on and scrubbed to remove soot and smoke residue. i tried a small section and the results are promising. ive got to much time and money to give up on my bronco. once again thanks to all.

JoeLat

you might try castrol superclean, it works wonders on grease and diesel stains, might help on soot residue. Sorry to hear...

I'd be careful with Superclean, that stuff is potent. I "cleaned" an anodyzed piece of aluminum with it and it took the ano off. Not sure it would be good for fabric or vinyl.

oh2bnok

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, KS
Call your local SERVPRO they can give you some advise on how to clean it. Also might be able to get the correct cleaning product. In the end you will need to rent an ionizer from them to get the smell out of you bronco and garage.

oh2bnok

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, KS
The wife says to wash the soot off the paint and other exposed metal as it is corrosive. Take it to the car wash, if you can't do that wash it off outside with a hose. Get the remaining off with vinegar and dawn dish soap. On the inside, if the soot is heavy vacuum it off to begin with. Then with vinegar and dawn dish soap wipe up the remining soot off the vinyl. If it there is heavy soot and you try to wipe it before vacuum you will smear the soot and it will stain yer vinyl. Always try an isolated area first.