• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

So many questions from new member

66CTBronco

Contributor
Loc.
New england
Hello bronco folks. I joined this forum a month or so ago when i got my father in laws first truck, a dec '65 build wimbledon white bronco... it's a colorado truck in fantastic shape. I'm not restoring it but any part i put in it i try to get restoration quality, i like things the way they were supposed to be as built. I belong to several forums, and this one is a little different (52 Farmall tractor, 51 Stude pickup among others) searching produces lots of posts, but not necessarily what i was searching for. I must say I definitely "feel the love" from other bronco people, man the waves, stop in town to talk, stop right in my driveway to flag me down to talk! What a fantastic group of people own these trucks!

I've done my best to search, and hate posting threads when I can't find something, but that seems to be the purpose of posting a new thread. I've been looking for probably 3-4 weeks on these few topics with little to no success which is why i thought it was time to post my questions and hope to meet some new folks and learn answers in the process. Here goes... Someone please let me know if this is against etiquette to ask so many questions in a single post!

Seat belts. I see many companies offering them for sale, they all look different, they all claim to be OE style, but what was correct? My truck has seat belt mounts, and when i brought it home it had belts, but not correct. Rear are two black push button Takata (Japan) belts, and front are brown no-name retractable belts. I'll leave the rear for now but will be reupholstering the front seats soon and would like black belts. What is correct - push button or airplane style? I found only a couple posts here about them but nothing conclusive - i think replies were leaning toward airplane style. There is no roll cage. What is correct - push button or airplane style, and for the front retractable or non-retractable?

Rear view mirror. I was reading about rare parts last night and i have several including the original rear view mirror. I was trying to figure out where it is supposed to mount. There are holes in the windshield frame, but there are 8 of them: 2 screws each for the mounts for the sun visors (another rare option?) The mirror was mounted on top of one of the sun visor mounts near the center of the windshield since they have the same hole spacing. I found a few photos here looking for visors and mirrors but none with both in place. How should the rear view mirror mount when there are sun visors in place?

Liftgate latch handle. I have the single handle original liftgate latch handle with a separate lock. There are some rattles, i've gotten rid of almost all in the back end, but the latch mechanism still has some wobble. I have no problem making parts as i have a small machine shop in my garage. My question is for the inside of the liftgate. The square post from the outside latch handle protrudes inside just a little and fits through a round hole. We've all been told about square pegs in round holes lol. Was there a handle on the inside? I figured i would be making some delrin or UHMW bushings to smooth the action of the handle out a bit but didn't want to put something in there that wasn't supposed to be there if there was a thing on the inside (handle perhaps) that would center the shaft in the hole.

I've found other posts very helpful, thank you very much. just finished adjusting the linkage for the 3 on the column; third was not always secure and it was 1/4" out of adjustment down below. New parts up top, no adjustment made below. New rubber seals all the way around, bushings, replaced later front turn signals with the right ones for 66, made bushings for the door hinges, repaired one window regulator and tracks working on the other now need to weld the front part of the window frame as it's cracked 3/4 of the way around from the sag and the upper right hitting the B pillar when it was closing, new e-brake cable.. motor is great a nice running 6 with oil bath cleaner in place, correct carb (i think my linkage is not correct for 66 but since it works so well that can wait till warmer weather.) This post is long enough, i enjoy reading long posts but i am aware others don't. Thank you for reading, thank you in advance for your replies, and looking forward to having a fun bouncy little truck to park next to my bouncy stude!
chris

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Welcome and I'm sure you're already noticing the 66' is different in many aspects. Here's more 66 reading than a guy could ever want in the link below.

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267124

Hello bronco folks. I joined this forum a month or so ago when i got my father in laws first truck, a dec '65 build wimbledon white bronco... it's a colorado truck in fantastic shape. I'm not restoring it but any part i put in it i try to get restoration quality, i like things the way they were supposed to be as built. I belong to several forums, and this one is a little different (52 Farmall tractor, 51 Stude pickup among others) searching produces lots of posts, but not necessarily what i was searching for. I must say I definitely "feel the love" from other bronco people, man the waves, stop in town to talk, stop right in my driveway to flag me down to talk! What a fantastic group of people own these trucks!

I've done my best to search, and hate posting threads when I can't find something, but that seems to be the purpose of posting a new thread. I've been looking for probably 3-4 weeks on these few topics with little to no success which is why i thought it was time to post my questions and hope to meet some new folks and learn answers in the process. Here goes... Someone please let me know if this is against etiquette to ask so many questions in a single post!

Seat belts. I see many companies offering them for sale, they all look different, they all claim to be OE style, but what was correct? My truck has seat belt mounts, and when i brought it home it had belts, but not correct. Rear are two black push button Takata (Japan) belts, and front are brown no-name retractable belts. I'll leave the rear for now but will be reupholstering the front seats soon and would like black belts. What is correct - push button or airplane style? I found only a couple posts here about them but nothing conclusive - i think replies were leaning toward airplane style. There is no roll cage. What is correct - push button or airplane style, and for the front retractable or non-retractable? 66' belts were used one year only and were black, airplane style latches, non retractable. The floor brackets were bent 90*

Rear view mirror. I was reading about rare parts last night and i have several including the original rear view mirror. I was trying to figure out where it is supposed to mount. There are holes in the windshield frame, but there are 8 of them: 2 screws each for the mounts for the sun visors (another rare option?) The mirror was mounted on top of one of the sun visor mounts near the center of the windshield since they have the same hole spacing. I found a few photos here looking for visors and mirrors but none with both in place. How should the rear view mirror mount when there are sun visors in place?
It just screws between, and slightly below the visor screws on the most commonly used rear view mirror, while I've seen the others use the same inside visor screw holes. There's a mirror thread in the the link above, and look at Blue Bastard's restoration thread in the link, I'm pretty sure he has pics of it in there.
Liftgate latch handle. I have the single handle original liftgate latch handle with a separate lock. There are some rattles, i've gotten rid of almost all in the back end, but the latch mechanism still has some wobble. I have no problem making parts as i have a small machine shop in my garage. My question is for the inside of the liftgate. The square post from the outside latch handle protrudes inside just a little and fits through a round hole. We've all been told about square pegs in round holes lol. Was there a handle on the inside? I figured i would be making some delrin or UHMW bushings to smooth the action of the handle out a bit but didn't want to put something in there that wasn't supposed to be there if there was a thing on the inside (handle perhaps) that would center the shaft in the hole. This is another one year only 66' lift gate, handle, and lock. There was no handle on the inside

I've found other posts very helpful, thank you very much. just finished adjusting the linkage for the 3 on the column; third was not always secure and it was 1/4" out of adjustment down below. New parts up top, no adjustment made below. New rubber seals all the way around, bushings, replaced later front turn signals with the right ones for 66, made bushings for the door hinges, repaired one window regulator and tracks working on the other now need to weld the front part of the window frame as it's cracked 3/4 of the way around from the sag and the upper right hitting the B pillar when it was closing, new e-brake cable.. motor is great a nice running 6 with oil bath cleaner in place, correct carb (i think my linkage is not correct for 66 but since it works so well that can wait till warmer weather.) This post is long enough, i enjoy reading long posts but i am aware others don't. Thank you for reading, thank you in advance for your replies, and looking forward to having a fun bouncy little truck to park next to my bouncy stude!
chris

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome aboard Chris!! Great to have you with us.

Happy New Year!

OP
OP
66CTBronco

66CTBronco

Contributor
Loc.
New england
Thank you very much for the welcome and answers, that was fast, thank you. I'm always fearful that I missed something while searching, so i appreciate your patience and answers very much!
c