• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

SOLVED---gauge cluster- inop with lights on above idle

kc15842

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, Ca
I have a strange propblem (IMO) with my cluster. Lights off all gauges are on and seem accurate. All features work at idle with the light switch on. Blinkers, high beam indicator and all lights all work, when I come off of idle the lights will go out and all gauges appear to lose power as they all go to the power down position. Could this be the IVR???

Last edited:

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
If Viper had a nickel for every time he diagnosed a faulty ground problem he'd have an awful lot of nickels!!!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
OK, thats my project for today. Do I need to add a strap from a specific mounting point on the cluster?

Thanks !

There is no specific grounding point. Original ground relied on good contact at the cluster to dash screws. A strap from the IVR mounting screw to the firewall would work well. Not much current required in the lighting/gauges so a small strap would be fine.

OP
OP
K

kc15842

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, Ca
I finally took the time to add the ground strap to the IVR mounting screw and finally after 3 years I have instrument lights! Solid lights full brightness at all speeds all conditions. Thanks Viperwplf1, I appreciate you taking the time to offer your troubleshooting thoughts!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Cool. I'll have to try that myself. My gauge lights are a little dim.