• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

something wierd and cant figure it out

jimbos71

yet another small hurtle to a perfect bronco . I was out today test driving , and truck just died . all I could find is water in my coil plug , cleaned out the water . truck would start then die real fast . I kept trying and trying as i was in a prediciment away from the house . it just started and took off like there was no problem . truck is @#$$# n posessed

Broncobowsher

Contributor
Total hack
Hard to really pinpoint. I have seen carbed engines with fuel issues that will start then suddenly die as the fuel bowl dries up.

But I think you are looking at an eletrical issue. Bad ignition switch, loose connection, failing ballast wire, failing module (if eletronic), etc.
What I think is happening is it will start with the bypass wire (I terminal on solenoid bypassing the regular ignition delivering full power to the ignition system to help start ups). As long as you are on the key in the start position with the solenoid pulled in, it will run.

What you need to do is take a test light with you. If it happens again, check the positive post of the coil for power with the key on. No power? Start following it back until you have power. Easier to search out with points. Eletronic starts the same but has more parts that can go bad.

OP
OP
J

jimbos71

what about the oil or water in the cap of the coil . seems like it pushed the spark plug wire right out . could this ne a faulty coil by msd . maybe boiling out ???? what is in the center of the coil ?

ogr

Loc.
Vail
Coil are generally oil filled. If they leak then they need to be replaced. They aren't designed to vent.