• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speculate horsepower difference pro flow 4 VS. Explorer EFI

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
So I've gone through several EFI changes, from 93 'stang to 96 Explorer, now I've got a pro flow 4 mounted and I'm planning on sticking with it.
Nonetheless, a discussion came up at dinner the other night speculating on the horsepower and performance difference from losing the long tube intake from the Explorer.
I speculated that low end response might be better, but high-RPM performance might be less with the pro flow 4.
I was wondering if anybody had any experience or input here?

THX,
JB

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
My guess is that the improved flow through the entire rpm range will favor the Pro Flow. It will obviously depend on your heads and cam. I am kind of a minority on here but I really am not a fan of factory EFI. The aftermarket seems to do a great job and has more ability to customize. The Pro Flow does not really have alot of that but some. The throttle body and intake in my opinion are much better breathing. Again just my opinion.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
The engine would be a huge factor, stock 302, little if any gain. 427 stroker with 11:1 compression and a cam the size of your leg? Proflow by a LOT. It all comes down to airflow. the explorer does a fair job working within stock specs of a 302, start pushing away from that and you start leaving power on the table, the farther from stock the more you leave. it comes down to air flow. some guys have some highly modified explorer stuff that flows quite well and effectively supporting some exceptional HP numbers.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Explorer probably wins. Torque wouldn't be as good with pro flow. Also the ecu knowing air amounts coming into the motor is very important for maximizing hp.

The newer ecus are pretty darn good. But the long runners of the GT40 intake will give the TQ edge to explorer.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
How good of a tuner do you have? The Explorer EFI on a stock engine is going to be dialed in really good. If you can get a really good tune, Proflow should win on HP. And that would be if the timing curve is right more than the fuel curve. Dialing in the fuel is easy to get right, the timing (over all the loads and RPMs) is the hard part to dial in.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How good of a tuner do you have? The Explorer EFI on a stock engine is going to be dialed in really good. If you can get a really good tune, Proflow should win on HP. And that would be if the timing curve is right more than the fuel curve. Dialing in the fuel is easy to get right, the timing (over all the loads and RPMs) is the hard part to dial in.
I tune ECU's. Specifically high end haltechs and now emtron (not an expert). Both are out of Australia. I haven't played with the proflow software, I don't know how specific it can be. Emtron now has way to calculate Engine air using a complicated equation, and would be ideal for a proflow setup. It's a game changer as far as tuning goes, without a air flow sensor.

Proflow will win on HP, but only at higher RPMs, which I am guessing Bronco guys don't use. None of use are driving around shifting at 7k rpms. Long runners would win in mall crawlers and rock crawlers/ street Broncos. Pro flow would win in a drag strip bronco, or perhaps a mud bog bronco.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I'm not sure of the tuning capabilities of the pro flow 4. I will see in the next couple of weeks when I get an opportunity to start it up.
That being said, EFI Guy is no longer able to set up the Explorer ECU for no EGR or any other optimizations/deletes. Therefore, I would guess the Explorer ECU would no longer be particularly well tuned to the engine as applied to an EB, one of the reasons I chose to go a different direction.
In the end, all I'm looking for is a good runner with enough power to get up the hills!

THX
JB

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm not sure of the tuning capabilities of the pro flow 4. I will see in the next couple of weeks when I get an opportunity to start it up.
That being said, EFI Guy is no longer able to set up the Explorer ECU for no EGR or any other optimizations/deletes. Therefore, I would guess the Explorer ECU would no longer be particularly well tuned to the engine as applied to an EB, one of the reasons I chose to go a different direction.
In the end, all I'm looking for is a good runner with enough power to get up the hills!

THX
JB
The explorer ecu would be easy to replace with an aftermarket. The ecu knowing the amount of air, fuel types, injector flow, engine size and fuel pressure etc… it can basically tune itself.

Most of the companies have nice base Maps for the ford 5.0. Then put in injector size and boom. It should run well.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The coyote has a brilliant designed long intake runners and it's one of the reasons so many love the motor for the classic bronco, or the classic mustang. Each runner actually has a secondary plastic flap near the head, that is controlled by a vacuum source. It's called the IRMC or something. So it's sort of like a hybrid ITB/ plenum setup. Really it's genius intake for street. Some of the high HP guys delete it, but it should help TQ on a street car.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
holley double pumper should make a difference but bad on the bumpy roads
I had a double pump for years ago, flooded on the bumpy roads, flooded in the heat, flooded for no reason at all.
If I was to go the car route it would be autolight two barrel for me!

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I had a double pump for years ago, flooded on the bumpy roads, flooded in the heat, flooded for no reason at all.
tuning....

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Could have been the pump circuit tripping with tight linkage, a throttle cable vs linkage might of fixed that.