• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speedo cluster turn indicator light

Me2carcrazy1

Contributor
The right turn indicator light in the original speedo went out. I am trying to get old bulb out but it is being a bugger and won't budge. I don't want to break anything so asking - Does it twist left or right, do you have to push it in and twist, does it just pull out straight or ???
Thanks,

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you still trying to get the plastic socket out of the back of the cluster housing? Or is it out and you’re trying to get the bulb out of the socket?

OP
OP
Me2carcrazy1

Me2carcrazy1

Contributor
I am trying to get the plastic socket out of the back of the cluster housing.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK, yeah they sometimes resist a bit.
The little metal tangs may have rusted to the housing.
I would just try some more rocking back-and-forth and maybe some twisting. They do not twist out, but are just clipped in with three or four metal spring tangs.
When in perfect shape they pop right out.

I don’t want you to break one, but you may have to apply some force. At the very least just fiddle with it a bit rocking back-and-forth.

Then again, maybe somebody who’s done it more recently can correct me if I’m wrong. If there are alignment notches, or if they do twist out, I’d hate to make you break one by trying to rock it.
It’s been a very long time since I’ve had to replace one, and I might be thinking about another vehicle.

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Then again, maybe somebody who’s done it more recently can correct me if I’m wrong. If there are alignment notches, or if they do twist out, I’d hate to make you break one by trying to rock i
Paul is right. In a perfect world it is kinda spring loaded and pops right out. In a perfect world...

OP
OP
Me2carcrazy1

Me2carcrazy1

Contributor
Well as I use to say in my younger days "Rock on"...
Fingers crossed it will give up before I do.

OP
OP
Me2carcrazy1

Me2carcrazy1

Contributor
I rocked it a bit then pulled it out. It is held in by 4 metal spring tabs which clip into the opening. They were not rusted but it still took some pulling effort. Nothing broke. Bulb is replaced and indicator works!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Perfect! Way to keep at it.
They just fight you sometimes, trying to see who’s really the boss.😁