• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speedometer bouncing needle again HELP!

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
The alternator quit this morning on my daily driver, :-[ (T Bird) so I had to drive the Bronco to work this morning. ;D While driving down the freeway I noticed the speedo needle doing flips again. :-[ I have taken the cable out of the housing and greased it about 3 times now. Each time it fixes the problem for about 150 miles, then it goes back to bouncing. :-[ Maybe I'm using the wrong grease? ?:? Has anyone had this problem? What did you do to fix it?

HELP! BH

justinsane

Loc.
Casper, Wyoming
I've always used a graphite (powered) lubricant on mine. If I keeps bouncing, replace the cable, that's always worked for me.<br><br>Brian<br>

tcjones76

Loc.
Tyngsboro, Ma
Check the connection at the back of the gauge, make sure it's tight. Also check that the square cable end isn't rounded over. Mine did this until the end finally twisted off. New cables are available at Tom's (his catalog just happened to be on top of the stack today).

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You can get the proper grease from any Dremel tool supplier that carries parts for their cable remote dremel moto tool. it comes in very small containers and the stuff is green colored.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
[quote author=BwoncoHowie link=board=5;threadid=13322;start=0#100182 date=1042654227]<br>The alternator quit this morning on my daily driver, :-[ (T Bird) so I had to drive the Bronco to work this morning. ;D While driving down the freeway I noticed the speedo needle doing flips again. :-[ I have taken the cable out of the housing and greased it about 3 times now. Each time it fixes the problem for about 150 miles, then it goes back to bouncing. :-[ Maybe I'm using the wrong grease? ?:? Has anyone had this problem? What did you do to fix it?<br><br>I have never been lucky with grease. I have always had the speedo head worked on. Sometimes they can adjust the jewels in the head. The last time it cost me $40. There must be a place in Orange Cty. I had mine done in El Monte on Durfee Ave near Valley Blvd.<br><br>I am just guessing but the bounce the head gets when you release the E-Brake can't be doing it any good.<br><br>HELP! BH<br>[/quote]

OP
OP
BwoncoHowie

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
from 72Sport
I have never been lucky with grease. I have always had the speedo head worked on. Sometimes they can adjust the jewels in the head. The last time it cost me $40. There must be a place in Orange Cty. I had mine done in El Monte on Durfee Ave near Valley Blvd.

I am just guessing but the bounce the head gets when you release the E-Brake can't be doing it any good.

I didn't want to resort to having the speedo worked on but I may have to face it. I'm Just looking for more input but I guess this problem is not very common.

I always let the park brake pedal up slowly with my left foot while pulling the release.

Which reminds me, when setting the parking brake, try this next time. Push down on the brake pedal with your right foot while mashing down the park brake pedal with your left foot, It uses hydraulics to set the shoes in the drum, and sets your park brake with more force with less stress on the cables... ;D

BH

72Sport

Bronco Guru
[quote author=BwoncoHowie link=board=5;threadid=13322;start=0#100452 date=1042696434]<br>
from 72Sport
I have never been lucky with grease. I have always had the speedo head worked on. Sometimes they can adjust the jewels in the head. The last time it cost me $40. There must be a place in Orange Cty. I had mine done in El Monte on Durfee Ave near Valley Blvd.<br><br>I am just guessing but the bounce the head gets when you release the E-Brake can't be doing it any good.<br><br><br>
<br>
<br><br>I didn't want to resort to having the speedo worked on but I may have to face it. I'm Just looking for more input but I guess this problem is not very common.<br><br>I always let the park brake pedal up slowly with my left foot while pulling the release. <br><br>Which reminds me, when setting the parking brake, try this next time. Push down on the brake pedal with your right foot while mashing down the park brake pedal with your left foot, It uses hydraulics to set the shoes in the drum, and sets your park brake with more force with less stress on the cables... ;D<br><br>BH<br>[/quote]<br><br>My memory is too short to do all that. I tried something similar but I gave up and replaced the rubber bumber in the E-brake with a new soft one. Problem gone. My speedo has been ok for a couple of years now.