• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speedometer Drive Gear Question

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does anyone know how many teeth are on the spedometer drive gear in a Dana 20 (The gear on the output shaft) Or if there were different pitch gears used?

Thanks, Dave...

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
As far as I know all of the D20 gears are the same, it is the plastic gear that goes on the end of the speedometer cable that varies. They are sized by color of the gear...starting around 15 teeth and going up from there I think.

1970mule

Bronco Guru
also if you are looking to replace the speedo gear then you need to take into account your tire size. i think on broncograveyard.com they have the gears and the ratio calculation you need to get the right one for your tire size.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The DRIVE gear is 7 or 8 teeth. I have seen both listed in a catalog before. But I have never seen documentation on what was used when.

The DRIVEN gear is the plastic gear that is easy to change on the end of the cable and tune the speedometer. They are found in 16 to 21 (maybe it's 23?) tooth count.

The gears are sloppy enough that they all interchange. Mismatched pitch isn't an issue. The high tooth count driven gears are known to wear quicker due to there pitch mismatch, but they will work for a while and the wear is only plastic shavings.

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The DRIVE gear is 7 or 8 teeth. I have seen both listed in a catalog before. But I have never seen documentation on what was used when.

Thanks... That's the number that I need. Anyone know if if its possible to tell if its 7 or 8 without pulling it apart and counting. i.e. year or t-case serial number etc.

I need this to calculate the correct pulse count for a VSS I'm working on.

Thanks, Dave...