• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speedometer needel bouncy!!! how do ya fix that?

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
??? :-[ ??? :-[ ??? :-[ ??? :-[

I just did a custom dash replace'n the standard gauge cluster with all seporate auto meter stuff... I was hope'n that the bouncy needel was in the old speedometer, but it looks like it's in the T-case... :( :- :'(

Is that a big deal to fix?? or what?? Cause I have no idea...

-slick- 8)

Krusher

Loc.
Brookhaven, MS
Does it truly bounce, or does it slip down to a lower than actual speed. Had an issue with mine showing actual speed until the transfer case heated up, then you could watch the needle slip back to a slower speed while maintaining constant RPM. Had a new speedo cable, correct speedo cable gear, and a new auto meter speedometer. Finally removed the tail shaft assembly and replaced the gear on the output shaft. Problem fixed. The one that I replaced was a plastic gear on a steel sleeve, and the plastic gear was slipping on the sleeve after it heated up.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
::) ::) ::)

naw... it just bounces till you hit about 65 mph but under that it waves + or - 5 mph.

:eek: so yer say'n I just need to shoot some WD40 down it? ??? or is there a-bit more to it than that???

-slick- 8)

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
no on the WD-40, there is better.....try some cable lube, something with graphite.

72_EB

66to77
Buy a new cable. Available at most auto parts places that know what they are doing. Bring in your old cable, they should have a book to match ends and length.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
[quote author=76BroncoSport link=board=5;threadid=15760;start=0#msg119405 date=1048909231]
dude, Jeepster, I think i want your dog
[/quote]

I hope you not thinking in sexual terms..... ::) ;) ;D

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
I'm in MI so the shipp'n shouldn't be too bad...

what do you need to get for it??? ;D

if yer not try'n to MAKE some $$$ off it I'll prolly take it!

-slick- 8)