• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

starter swap

ltatro

Loc.
Michigan
Just went to put my old starter in the 97 5.0. It will bolt up but the shield (transmission cover) is cut a little different leaving a large gap opening next to the starter (should have swapped housing covers). Looks like I'll be in the market for the newer starter on the 5.0. The old starter just has the one wire lead from the relay. How are the newer ones wired ? Thanks, Tater

OP
OP
L

ltatro

Loc.
Michigan
$$$$$

Wow, NAPA wants nearly $300 for an explorer starter, there has to be a better way (cheaper). Photo shows how the opening is a little larger (right side) and not perfectly round, leaving a gap when the original starter is in position. Anyone?

Attachments

• starter motor.jpg
    starter motor.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 157

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I don't think the newer starter will cover that either. None of my dust shields have had that kind of opening.

I have gotten a few off ebay for <$40 each.

For connecting, the original big wire just switches sides on the solinoid. Then run a new 10ga wire from the now vacant solenoid post to the spade terminal on the starter.