• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starting Bronco Rehab - Truck won’t Start

901Broncos

Just starting the process of getting a 1968 Sport with a 289 back up and running. Moved away and it’s has been sitting for about 12 years. Just looking to get it started at this point. Drained and cleaned gas tank. Replaced sending unit. Replaced fuel line. Replaced fuel pump. Replaced spark plugs. Ew battery. Carb getting gas. Been a while since I trouble shot and worked on it. Thoughts on next steps?

labuski

what does it do when it tries to start? Make sure your 12 volt line is hooked up to your solenoid and getting to the coil so it gets that extra umpgh to start. my connection was bad there and before i replaced it, it was hell trying to get mine to start.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it cranking easily and at full normal speed? Or is it a little lethargic when cranking?
What about gas getting squirted into the venturi? Is this how you determined you had gas, or was it some other way?

Have you at least checked for spark at a plug or three? A timing light is a great tool for this, as you don't even need to pull any plugs or wires. Just clamp on the inductive pickup and see if it flashes when the engine is cranking.
If you don't have a timing light though, you could pull a plug wire and verify spark.

What else has been done to the truck? All stock wiring? Did you remove the distributor and/or cap and plug wires at any point?
Did you install new plug wires and maybe get them out of order?

Good luck.
Oh, and welcome to classicbroncos too!

Paul