• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering Column Gap After Installing New AT Shift Collar.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I just went through the painful, amateur process of getting the AT shifter back on the column after being attached to a B&M Shifter.

Complicated somewhat by the fact that I have a '70 with what I thought was a '74, which might be a '76 column. I decided to reuse the existing shift tube (29") and installed a new shift collar.

All is working well but I have an unexplained, sizable gap based on how things are lined up on the top of the steering shaft. As far as I can tell, it only impacts the turn signals being not turned off after a turn but I would like to close the gap and get it fitted correctly.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_6943.jpg
    IMG_6943.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 46

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
I just went through the painful, amateur process of getting the AT shifter back on the column after being attached to a B&M Shifter.

Complicated somewhat by the fact that I have a '70 with what I thought was a '74, which might be a '76 column. I decided to reuse the existing shift tube (29") and installed a new shift collar.

All is working well but I have an unexplained, sizable gap based on how things are lined up on the top of the steering shaft. As far as I can tell, it only impacts the turn signals being not turned off after a turn but I would like to close the gap and get it fitted correctly.

Thoughts?

So just to be clear this gap was not there before the change and the ONLY thing that was changed was the shift collar?

Jim

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Correct. Also, and I can't comment on what it was like before but I can pull the steering wheel and it comes out about another 1/3 of an inch. Going through your tutorial now looking for my point (s) of failure. Thank you.

So just to be clear this gap was not there before the change and the ONLY thing that was changed was the shift collar?

Jim

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Here's my take on a 76-77 column/shaft etc. You have two very important snap rings on the upper end of the steering shaft.

1. C-clip type. This one should be in the lower slot. Maybe 1.5-2" down from the top of the shaft.
2. Small snap ring with two little holes for your snap ring pliers. This one is only about 1/4-3/8" away from the other one.

The upper column bearing sits between the two and positions the shaft and steering wheel where it is supposed to go.

My thought is for the shaft to be coming up out of the column like that maybe you are missing the lower snap ring.

Jim

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
OK. Back to the garage. Thank you.

Here's my take on a 76-77 column/shaft etc. You have two very important snap rings on the upper end of the steering shaft.

1. C-clip type. This one should be in the lower slot. Maybe 1.5-2" down from the top of the shaft.
2. Small snap ring with two little holes for your snap ring pliers. This one is only about 1/4-3/8" away from the other one.

The upper column bearing sits between the two and positions the shaft and steering wheel where it is supposed to go.

My thought is for the shaft to be coming up out of the column like that maybe you are missing the lower snap ring.

Jim

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Yep. That solved the problem. Luckily I didn't have to pull the harness again! I'm a master taking things apart and a failure at putting things back together correctly the first time. Thank you.