• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering column upper bearing bushing/sleeve

Larry D

Work in progress (getting there...) on my son's '72. The steering wheel/shaft had some bad wobble so after taking the steering wheel off it was found that the upper bearing bushing/sleeve moved out of position from the bearing causing the steering shaft to move about. The previous owner put in an aftermarket Grant steering wheel so I don't know if the OEM wheel had some parts pressing down on the sleeve to keep it in place. fyi, the tun signal switch and retainer is in place but this retainer does not seem to have any function in retaining the sleeve in place.

Can someone say what keeps the upper bearing sleeve in place in the bearing.

Thanks for the help!

phldwsnoc1

Loc.
Jarrettsville, MD
I don't have an answer but there may be something here:

Fortification.com/tech/3spd-column_01.htm

I thought the bearings pressed in but it's been a while since I've been in one.

dprio34

Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Larry, bearing is under the turn signal. Then the sleeve (mine was steel). Then the spring. then the Steering Wheel. Then Bolt it down.

If you go inside the engine compartment. Undo the bicycle seat post clamp on the steering shaft, and you should see a Felt washer, plastic sleeve, and a bearing and you can do an inspection of that side.

I recommend marking the steeing shaft prior to loosening the c-clamp. In case you get really motivated and remove the entire shaft, you will know where everything should line back up.

That was the order of my assembly. Below are what the bearing sleeves look like.

Attachments

• Bearing.jpg
    Bearing.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 54

dprio34

Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Not Bronco specific, but will give you some idea what is going on in there.

Attachments

• steering-column.jpg
    steering-column.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
L

Larry D

Thanks to all,
It looks like the previous owner for whatever reason left out the Upper Bearing Retainer Spring. I have a new sleeve (plastic); the original was steel as yours was. It may have been left out on purpose as the Grant steering wheel installation kit has different parts makeup then a OEM steering wheel and the spring may not have been the right length. We'll see and make adjustments as needed. Thanks.