• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering Geometry ?

Cougar

Loc.
Loveland, CO
I have a '70 Bronco that I'm doing. It has a 3 1/2" suspension lift on it. I'm going to be running 33 x 12.5 sizes tires. The power steering box was just rebuilt by West Texas Offroad (They did an outstanding job!) and it is mounted inside the frame (conversion done by a previous owner). My question is this...since the box is mounted on the inside of the frame I assume it is from an F series Ford. Are these boxes longer or shorter than the stock Bronco steering boxes? If they are longer, do I still need an extended or drop pitman arm? I plan on doing a tie rod over conversion using either the Stone Crusher Steering or Bullet Proof Suspension kits. Therefore, the drag link will be going directly from the pitman arm to the passenger's side spindle.

B

bert

If you have the 2WD box it should be 3 inches or so below the frame. I have the 4X4X2 conversion and the housing is roughly even with the frame.

A drop pitman should not be necessary with the longer box. You may want to invest in a brace for the lower part of the box. WH has them I believe. They also have a good write up on their web site using that box. The track bar may need to be lowered.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Hard to say whether you'll need a drop pitman arm without seeing it. You definitely want the drag link and the trac bar parallel. If you can do that without a drop pitman arm, great. If they're not parallel, do what's needed to get there.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree with the others. You shouldn't need a dropped arm with that box ESPECIALLY with a tierod-over setup. You might even find that it's too low. If there is such a thing as too level, it's only because it's harder to match the angle of the trackbar to the draglink. You can get away with the trakbar being a little more steep than the draglink, but not by too much. That's because the shorter trackbar moves in a more acute arc than the longer draglink does.
They seem to work ok that way. Hope you don't need a raised pitman arm instead! Lol.

Paul

70_Steve

Old Guy
What DirtDonk said!!!

I have the F100 PS box with a 2 1/2" lift (which is now down to 2" or 1 1/2" due to the extra weight of the 351) Their's no way I could do a tie-rod over, or my drag link would be below my pitman arm.