• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stereo recommendations for tuffy console

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I know this topic comes up a lot, but the products available are changingso rapidly, I wonder if anybody has any recent recommendations?
I'm looking for a single DIN system with good Bluetooth and USB integration.
I'd love to find an Android auto compatible unit, however the single DIN systems available with slide-out screens may not work very well given the orientation of the system in a tuffy console.

Thanks,
JB

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
still in the market myself, but there are some good options on crutchfield.com good luck sir

omureebe

I'm a huge fan of Alpine head units because I always used an external amp. Alpine decks typically have three pre outs (most other head units have two pre outs) so I can run front, back, sub. I have a 5-channel marine unit that's small and fits between the dash and bottom of the glove box. Also.... who the heck wants a CD player anymore? They have units that have that delete.

I agree with sprdv1 to check out Crutchfield since they have a good search function, but they're expensive so maybe buy off of Amazon or someplace else. If I were to do this all again, I wouldn't even run a deck. Seal up the hole and mount bluetooth amp on the back of the dash and just run music off of my cell phone.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Thanks guys! Completely agree about running music off the phone, but my Tuffy console already has a slot for a single din unit, and I can't think of what to repurpose it for.

The unit that's there now still has a tape deck

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I recall early on like back in the early 90's guys were putting cb's in the tuffy radio slot.
There was a small rush for old Cobra 19's that had the mic plug on the front and not the side so it would fit.
Unscrew the mic plug when your not using it.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks guys! Completely agree about running music off the phone, but my Tuffy console already has a slot for a single din unit, and I can't think of what to repurpose it for.

lol, I got lots of those somewhere if I could find em.. old cassette tapes, old skool cool

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri

I finally removed mine and did just that. I still don't have anything in hole but may add a CB at some point, I also considered adding plate with switches for various acc? Maybe a good place to hide a kill switch and then lock the top down?

I tried numerous brands and I always ended up eventually with too much dust settling in the CD slot.

hucklburry rev2

I have a plan in my head for a Ipad mini or a samsung tablet (some have built in gps) paired to a blue tooth amp - the table holder would allow me to remove and take the tablet with me - so I could have the GPS mapping on a decent screen size, and play music from it in various ways (download, spotify, etc etc). Lock tablet in the tuffy when not in use.

If you can't do double din, why bother? Do something else, imho

edgeoffroad04

I know this isn't what the OP asked for but I have been eyeing the Retrosound Huntington. Really cleans things up and give you a factory look with bluetooth. I too have the tuffy console with a hole where the stereo should go. But have been drawn to the clean look of Retro sound. You have 2 preouts and an output for a sub/external amp. Does anyone have any feedback on these units?

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
JohnnyB I installed a Kenwood deck with CD player, bluetooth and USB. I mostly just use my phone to stream Pandora on it. If you buy a deck for your center console, I highly recommend a CD player one even if you don't use it for CD's. The new non CD player ones are super short and hard to plug your harness into the back of the center console

navi

I just had a jvc bluetooth deck and alarm installed. The guy that did the work said that regardless of the branding, most of these basic units are identical inside, from the same factory in china.